slice # change from .syr to map report

I was experimenting a coregen generated FFT module. How come the slice utilization jump 6 fold from the synthesis report to map report? XST does not just synthesis the logic into generic logics, it synthesize the logic to target resources, right? What I am saying is that if I change the target device, the # of slice used would change if the architecture of the slice is different between these two devices. So why there is such a big change in the # of slice used (and other resource for that matter) between MAP report and synthesis report. I am definitely a newbie, so please bear with me.

Thanks, Charles

Reply to
charles

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka