Xilinx ISE 6.1i

Has anyone tried 6.1i yet? I took a Spartan IIE design and compiled it under 6.1i (from 5.2i, previously). It failed timing by about 20% where it previously passed.

Anyone have similar "luck" ?

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

where did you get 6.1i ? dont see it been released on xilinx website? antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Had you regenerate the ucf file with PACE? I regenerate copletely this file and the time constrain return to the original (5.2 version)

Bye Giuseppe

"Jake Janovetz" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Giuseppe³

Also this morning I saw that there is the first service pack available to the web for 6.1 version

Bye Giuseppe

"Giuseppe³" ha scritto nel messaggio news:bk6kph$qb16m$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-61213.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Giuseppe³

"Jake Janovetz" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

You are lucky! I have just upgraded from WebPack 4.2 to 5.2, and a SpartanII project that previuosly worked, now it doesn't even map... :(

map report with 4.2:

Design Information

------------------ Command Line : map -p xc2s100-tq144-5 -cm area -k 4 -c 100 -tx off main.ngd Target Device : x2s100 Target Package : tq144 Target Speed : -5 Mapper Version : spartan2 -- $Revision: 1.58 $ Mapped Date : Wed Jul 23 16:28:06 2003

Design Summary

-------------- Number of errors: 0 Number of warnings: 1 Number of Slices: 1,198 out of 1,200 99% Number of Slices containing unrelated logic: 269 out of 1,198 22% Number of Slice Flip Flops: 1,127 out of 2,400 46% Total Number 4 input LUTs: 2,133 out of 2,400 88% Number used as LUTs: 1,974 Number used as a route-thru: 159 Number of bonded IOBs: 54 out of 92 58% IOB Flip Flops: 14 Number of Tbufs: 416 out of 1,280 32% Number of Block RAMs: 5 out of 10 50% Number of GCLKs: 2 out of 4 50% Number of GCLKIOBs: 2 out of 4 50% Total equivalent gate count for design: 107,305 Additional JTAG gate count for IOBs: 2,688

map report with 5.2:

Design Information

------------------ Command Line : C:/Xilinx/bin/nt/map.exe -quiet -p xc2s100-tq144-5 -cm area

-detail -ignore_keep_hierarchy -pr b -r -k 4 -c 100 -tx off -o main_map.ncd main.ngd main.pcf Target Device : x2s100 Target Package : tq144 Target Speed : -5 Mapper Version : spartan2 -- $Revision: 1.4 $ Mapped Date : Tue Sep 16 13:54:09 2003

Design Summary

-------------- Number of errors: 1 Number of warnings: 1 Logic Utilization: Number of Slice Flip Flops: 1,108 out of 2,400 46% Number of 4 input LUTs: 2,279 out of 2,400 94% Logic Distribution: Number of occupied Slices: 1,281 out of 1,200

106% (OVERMAPPED) Number of Slices containing only related logic: 978 out of 1,281 76% Number of Slices containing unrelated logic: 303 out of 1,281 23% *See NOTES below for an explanation of the effects of unrelated logic Total Number 4 input LUTs: 2,432 out of 2,400 101% (OVERMAPPED) Number used as logic: 2,279 Number used as a route-thru: 153 Number of bonded IOBs: 54 out of 92 58% IOB Flip Flops: 32 Number of Tbufs: 416 out of 1,280 32% Number of Block RAMs: 5 out of 10 50% Number of GCLKs: 2 out of 4 50% Number of GCLKIOBs: 2 out of 4 50%

Total equivalent gate count for design: 108,827 Additional JTAG gate count for IOBs: 2,688

--
Lorenzo
Reply to

In-maintenance folks have supposedly been receiving 6.1i since the beginning of September. I received mine on Monday. Since I work from both a laptop and desktop, I decided to try it on the laptop and see how the performance compared. I haven't done much in-depth.

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

Guiseppe-

This was with SP1 (as you mentioned later) applied. I find it interesting that there is a service pack available by the time I receive my first media.

Why would I have to regenerate with PACE? I do this stuff by hand, so I've never used PACE. Is there some intermediate file that it updates now? The constraints file does contain placement and pin locations, but those seem to be followed as is indicated by the post-PR floorplan look. (and FPGA editor)

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

Don't be surprised about the service packs. The "features" that are part of each release are planned well in advance. When bugs are encountered, they priortize them and only fix the "critical" bugs prior to release. The lesser bugs and other features are then planned into later releases, again according to priority.

A conversation I had with a Xilinx person indicated that they have bug fixes and new features planned at least two service packs ahead. I think it is pretty good that Xilinx was able to release the first service pack so soon. To me this shows that they did a good job of triage, planning and execution on both the 6.1 release and the first service pack.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Anyway, I would rather reduce by a factor of 2 the releases and service packs, if this reduce the bugs.

Tullio

---------

Reply to
Tullio Grassi

Lorenzo visto che sei italiano colgo l'opportunità per scriverti nella nostra lingua. Sto facendo un lavoro di tesi riguardante la riconfigurazione parziale dei dispositivi che sfruttano questa funzionalità e avendo preso come riferimento

l'applnote290 di xilinx ho utilizzato un loro esempio per indirizzarmi, solo che ora sono bloccato perchè non riesco a risolvere un problema che incontro e cioè nell'operazione di sintesi i seguenti 2 errori: error 3317Library synplify not found error 3013Library synplify not declared Per favore puoi aiutarmi? Grazie Antonio P.S.:dimenticavo, la mia versione di software è la 5.2i(ise).

Reply to
Antonio