ISE 8.1: Process "Map" failed

Hi all,

I came back from vacation yesterday, and full of ideas I started to work where I left before the holidays. The first thing that happens is that I can't map my design anymore. The vhdl is exactly the same as earlier, and the only difference in the map report is the lines regarding related and unrelated logic below:

Design Summary

-------------- Number of errors: 0 Number of warnings: 130 Logic Utilization: Number of Slice Flip Flops: 7,351 out of 21,504 34% Number of 4 input LUTs: 5,267 out of 21,504 24% Logic Distribution: Number of occupied Slices: 5,505 out of 10,752 51% Number of Slices containing only related logic: 5,505 out of

5,505 100% Number of Slices containing unrelated logic: 0 out of 5,505 0% *See NOTES below for an explanation of the effects of unrelated logic Total Number 4 input LUTs: 6,045 out of 21,504 28% Number used as logic: 5,267 Number used as a route-thru: 310 Number used as Shift registers: 468

Number of bonded IOBs: 132 out of 456 28% IOB Flip Flops: 5 IOB Master Pads: 55 IOB Slave Pads: 55 IOB Dual-Data Rate Flops: 26 Number of Block RAMs: 42 out of 56 75% Number of MULT18X18s: 40 out of 56 71% Number of GCLKs: 5 out of 16 31% Number of DCMs: 1 out of 8 12% Number of BSCANs: 1 out of 1 100%

Number of RPM macros: 26 Total equivalent gate count for design: 3,057,923 Additional JTAG gate count for IOBs: 6,336 Peak Memory Usage: 266 MB

Following the design summary is a note regarding related logic.

In my old map report none of this related logic stuff is present. But I can't really understand why the mapper fails due to this since none of the logic is unrelated.

I am pretty sure that my code hasn't changed during my vacation. Does ISE know that there is a new version out and it wants me to upgrade? ;-)

Has anyone experienced this before?

Regards Johan

Johan Bernspång, xjohbex@xfoix.se
Research engineer

Swedish Defence Research Agency - FOI
Division of Command & Control Systems
Department of Electronic Warfare Systems

www.foi.se

Please remove the x's in the email address if
replying to me personally.
Johan Bernspång

Does it really fail? or have you misinterpreted what it said, because it looks ok... The related logic is not a concern in this case as far as I can see. ISE always adds an asterisk and a note about related logic IIRC. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

Yes, it really fails without any explanation at all. No errors nothing... Anyway, I created a new project and copied the sources to that. Guess what, it works again... For some reason the problem was project oriented, and I can't explain that.

/Johan

Benjam> Does it really fail? or have you misinterpreted what it said, because it

Johan Bernspång, xjohbex@xfoix.se
Research engineer

Swedish Defence Research Agency - FOI
Division of Command & Control Systems
Department of Electronic Warfare Systems

www.foi.se

Please remove the x's in the email address if
replying to me personally.
Johan Bernspång

Hmm, ISE is fantastic for bizzare things like that.. If it happens again click on Project -> Clean Up Project Files... This usually removes all the junk from your project folder. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

Well, I tried that too, but it didn't help in this case. It seems like the problem was connected to the project file itself... Beats me...

/Johan

Benjam> Hmm, ISE is fantastic for bizzare things like that..

Johan Bernspång, xjohbex@xfoix.se
Research engineer

Swedish Defence Research Agency - FOI
Division of Command & Control Systems
Department of Electronic Warfare Systems

www.foi.se

Please remove the x's in the email address if
replying to me personally.
Johan Bernspång

Hello Johan,

I had the same map error. Only thing to do is to create a complete new project and start all over again.

Regards,

Jeroen

"Johan Bernspång" schreef in bericht news:ece9jc$mok$ snipped-for-privacy@mercur.foi.se...

Reply to
Jeroen Tenbult

That is what I did to solve the problem. I am still curious how the problem started though.

/Johan