iMPACT: Problem in downloading bit file

Hi,

When I was donwloading bit files to the target FPGA device, the process ran up to around 95% and error message appeared. I have to close the IMPACT program and re-try again. It worked after several times. This happens everytime I download the bit file for the first time. What is the problem?

Please advice. Thanks.

Reply to
zyan

Hi, This could be due to one of the following several reasons:

  1. Your JTAG cable could be incorrectly fastened to the pins. Try tightening it up.
  2. Check if the power source that drives the power to the download setup is stable. Power surges may throw an error.
  3. iMPACT does behave strangely sometimes, ie, if your PC enters > Hi,

to around 95% and error message appeared. I have to close the IMPACT program and re-try again. It worked after several times. This happens everytime I download the bit file for the first time. What is the problem?

Reply to
viswanathank

to around 95% and error message appeared. I have to close the IMPACT program and re-try again. It worked after several times. This happens everytime I download the bit file for the first time. What is the problem?

I would guess this is a hardware design issue. The JTAG lines in the hardware are missing terminators, missing buffers, certain chips they are tied to are left unpopulated, or they are longer than the spec.

Are you running in bi-directional parallel mode or ECP? What version of ISE? What chipset is the parallel controller on your motherboard? Windows or Linux?

Reply to
Brannon

Hi, Thanks.

The error message was: iMPACT:2218 - Error shows in the status register, release done bit is NOT 1.

I am using in bi-directional parallel mode, ISE 8.1i and Windows XP.

Reply to
zyan