How to set the Chipscope trigger to the very start of the user appl?

Hello all, I'm new with using Chipscope Pro 7.1 and need some help in how to use it correctly. I have a Virtex-2 Multimedia Board and EDK version 7.1 connected to it. The project contains MB processor and 2bit LED peripheral and includes a simple application program that switches LEDs on and off. I would like to get the exact trace of the waveform of the program, so I'm using Chipscope 7.1i to analyze the OPB bus. I placed the data and instruction memory on 2 BRAM blocks and connected them to the OPB bus. I also connected the chipscope ICON and OPB-IBA core. However, I don't know how to set the trigger correctly so to see the entire trace of the program on the bus. I tried using triggers:

  1. OPB_ABUS 0
  2. OPB_ABUS > 0 && OPB_ABUS < 0000 00C0 If the program has an infinite loop (LEDs on and off always), I see only the loop. If the program is short (LEDs on only once, with or without the use of an exit(1) command), all I see is 2 repeating commands on addresses 0x000000c0 and 0x000000c8 (the diodes are already lit, and the same instruction is read over and over again). Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! Ines
Reply to
inesviskic

It depends on how your application execute. Do a "mb-objdump -S" and look at the code. What program is initialized into the BRAM in the bitstream? Do you download your program using XMD and then execute it?

Göran

Reply to
Göran Bilski

I got it to work now, thanks. The problem was the delays between switching diodes on and off were too long, so Chipscope was displaying the waveform of one delay (I was mistaken that the problem ende, when instead the program was in the idle for-loop). That's why I wasn't seeing the instructions for loading values into diode register. Thanks for your help!

Ines

Reply to
inesviskic