chipscope problems

I am trying to use chipscope to debug a simple design on the digilent spartan 3 starter board I insert a chipscope core using ISE 7.1 i synthesize my design and download it to the board via impact. now when I do analyze design using chipscope from within ISE chipscope starts, and I click the open cable icon in the upper left corner and the machine just sits for awhile, searching each LPT port (yes the parallel jtag cable is connected to the machine and the board) each of them time out i guess, and chipscope tells me:

ERROR: Socket Open Failed. localhost/127.0.0.1:50001 localhost java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect ERROR: Socket communication not open.

any ideas?

do i need to have the full version of chipscope for this to work? (i may have an evaluation version)

thanks,

--
Geoffrey Wall
Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering

Did you first close impact? Only one can be open at a time; they apparently compete for the port.

Reply to
Duane Clark

You don't have to close impact, just make sure that you close the cable connection using Output/Cable Disconnect. After upgrading to Chipscope

7.1 sp3 these sorts of problem disappeared for me.

There is no difference in functionality between the evaluation version and the registered version of ChipScope.

/Johan

Duane Clark wrote:

Johan Bernspång, xjohbex@xfoix.se
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Johan Bernspång

yes i have tried it with impact open, and also with impact closed neither way seems to work

thanks

--
Geoffrey Wall
Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
geoffrey wall

Are you using Windows XP? In such case, you should telle the firewall to unblock Chipscope

Reply to
Zara