dynamic partial reconfiguration of Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGAs

I just begining my work on dynamic partial reconfiguration of Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGAs. I have readed those article sur the site of Xilinx e.g; the guild of configuration , use guid etc. but I havent also any idea for the begining. I wish someone can give me a real exemple or some advices for the dynamic partial reconfiguration of Virtex-4.

thanks on advance,

xun

Reply to
zhangxun0501

Hi xun, Check out Xilinx's PlanAhead product. Quote:- "New Partial Reconfiguration features and capabilities in PlanAhead 8.1 simplify the implementation of this complex but powerful design flow. Combined with the ISE 8.1i Design Tools, PlanAhead 8.1 delivers the industry's only front-to-back solution for partial reconfiguration."

Make sure you report back to let us know how you're getting along! Good luck (you'll need it!) Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Partial REconfiguration on Virtex-4 using ISE8.1 doesnt work.

Good Luck

Reply to
Javier Castillo

I recommend reading the article below:

Apparently RC works... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Partial reconfig for V4 requires additional software that is not included in 8.1i. PlanAhead is also required. You need to contact your local FAE to gain access to this software.

Steve

Sym> Hi xun,

Reply to
Steve Lass

Peter,

there is no evidence of _dynamic_ reconfiguration in this article.

Actually, Smith-Waterman algorithm is not a good candidate for demonstrating dynamicity, because the query sequence occupies only an edge of the accelerator array => programming a long register is ok. Changing algorithm coefficients would benefit from DPR, but actually, biologists never do so!

Xilinx paper "Gene Matching using JBits" in FPL 2002 was an implementation of the Needleman-Wunsch algorithm (simpler than S-W); it also uses a run-time query, and implementation is optimized for given coefficients, so it's not clearly taking advantage of DPR. Anyway JBits was demonstrated to work.

Stephane

Peter Alfke wrote:

Reply to
Stephane

Of course it works. Self-Reconfiguration on Virtex2,Spartan2 and Spartan3 works fine. I said that Partial Reconfiguration on Virtex4 using ISE doesnt work. I dont know if using PlanAhead it works.

We have made many experiments and using Virtex4 during the final assembly phase it fails due to problem with the disabled DCMs, and many global logic that appears during this phase. That global logic goes from TIE elements to CE inputs of the registers inside the slices. For smal designs we have route it manually and we've got some simple design of PR on Virtex4, but for larger designs is imposible to route that logic. Appart for it there are a problem about using Virtex4 block rams in modular design, I reported it, and it supposed to be solved in a IP update for ISE8.1. I havent test it yet.

Yesterday, when I downloaded SP2 for ISE8.1 I tested again the designs and the problem of the global logic and unconnected DCMs havent disappear.

Regards

Javier

Reply to
Javier Castillo

The Virtex4 hardware supports partial reconfiguration and includes a lot of special hooks intended to increase the flexibility of usage of Partial Reconfig. Unfortunately the tools haven't quite caught up yet. This should improve with the new Plan Ahead 8.1 and future Software releases. Some applications like Software Defined Radio and Reconfigurable Computing are driving this.

If you run into a problem please call the hotline or file a CR. If Partial Reconfig is important to you - let your local FAE know. That way in the future the software and tool support for Partial Reconfiguration will get the priority it deserves.

- Vic

Javier Castillo wrote:

Reply to
Vic Vadi

Hi Xun, Planahead 8.1 supports partial reconfiguration in Virtex 4. Check out this recent article:

-Love

Love Singhal

Hi Singhal,

has the partial reconfig evolved since last time the Virtex 2 nightmare? I did partial reconfig with V2 FPGAs, and it was really buggy and inflexible.

Reply to
Frank

This is exactly what I've been hearing since I started out with partial reconfiguration, and that was with ISE4.2. "Will be fixed in the next service pack", "should work in the next release", "This is not supported yet, but well be later on.", "This is a known issue that is scheduled to be fixed in a future software release.". Kind of reminds me of GNU/Hurd, which is always scheduled to be usable "next year", or "Duke Nukem Forever", which has been scheduled to be released for the past 9 years.

Now it's 4 major releases and probably a dozen service packs later, and the bottom line is: It has never worked properly, it still doesn't, and in the past few years support in the tools hasn't even gotten a little better, because all the problems seem to be re-introduced with every major release all over again. And of course, as soon as a new FPGA family is introduced (Spartan 3, Virtex 4), all the effort seems to be going (understandably) into implementing partial reconfiguration for these new devices, not into fixing bugs in the existing support for older devices.

The high-point of all of this was with the release of ISE7.1, when partial reconfiguration was completely disabled until SP4.

Nice to hear that now *finally* there seem to be applications for the mass market that make the whole subject "interesting" to Xilinx.

In past years the whole thing was more or less academic in nature, and I totally understand that priorities are low when there's only little or no money behind it. This is all perfectly reasonable and understandable.

But the thing that bugs me is that Xilinx has been using partial reconfiguration to promote their parts for years, and as soon as you really dive into the subject you find out that the parts do indeed support it, but the software does not, or has only very buggy or rudimentary support.

So when you ask someone from Xilinx you usually get a link to some marketing press release which states "Yes, partial reconfiguration works, we're better than all of our competitors!", which is obviously only part of the truth...

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

Hi,

I think than actually the PR is well-supported in Virtex-II. This family is the reference device for all PR documents. But it depends of the complexity of your design.

The question is if new families will be supported, particularly Virtex-4, because the new architecture appears to be incompatible with the actual PR methodology. PlanAhead should be the solution. However it is necessary to evaluate if it works well for all kind of applications, because simple PR design works perfectly in all devices: Spartan-II, Virtex, Virtex-II, etc... as Javier Castillo said.

Regards,

Ivan

Frank wrote:

Reply to
Ivan

Hi,

your comments reveal that you are very annoyed about PR. I think it is a hard work to make use of it, but actually there are a lot of interesting applications and research works when PR has been applied successfully.

Of course these good results have been obtained at present. When ISE 4.2 was released, the PR was well-supported by the JBits tool. You chose the wrong tool :(

Regards,

Ivan

Sean Durk>> The Virtex4 hardware supports partial reconfiguration and includes a lot

Reply to
Ivan

It's great to see so much interest in partial reconfiguration. I posted on Feb 14, but mayby wasn't clear. We have developed new tools and a new flow for partial reconfig. That software works with ISE 8.1i, but is not included with ISE 8.1i. You need to contact your local FAE to get the software.

Steve

Sean Durk>

Reply to
Steve Lass

Hi Frank,

complete flow yet), the support for partial reconfiguration has indeed evolved in Virtex 4. First, the Planahead tool handles modular based flow better than just the floorplanner in the previous modular based flow. Second, the Virtex 4 has fixed size frames (16 clbs) based partial reconfiguration rather than a column based partial reconfiguration. This basically means that there can be multiple frames in one column of any Virtex 4 device. Thus, the whole column does not have to be reconfigured all at once. This could reduce a lot of complexity for interconnects that connects one side of reconfigurable region to another side (they do not have to be routed using long wires only, for example). I think designs with partial reconfiguration could be implemented better in Virtex 4 than in Virtex 2, but as I said, I have not yet implemented the complete flow.

Love Singhal

Love Singhal

Hi Steve, Are any non-academic customers using this flow with reliable success? My point being, it's probably a great post-graduate project, but should I be willing to bet my companies R&D money on it? Is there a commitment from Xilinx to support this design flow into the future? I'd like to see some IP cores based on this being released by Xilinx. It would show that the Xilinx IP developers believe in it! Please don't get me wrong, I'm typing in a friendly tone of voice! I really hope you guys have it cracked this time. I hope you can understand the caution expressed by some of the more cynical posters on CAF!! Many thanks, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

I meant "company's". Arse.

Reply to
Symon

Hi Symon,

I think that the use of PR is not related with the money of companies. The real question will be: is there any kind of application where PR is really necessary? Companies try to reduce the cost of the products, and the research and development is only necessary when the solution is not available with the current technology... why they have to use PR in their designs when they do not need it?

Moreover, you need to understand that some of academic researches/customers (as you said) are using PR in their projects because they are financed by companies. They are looking for this kind of applications... like Xilinx people, I think.

Regards,

Ivan

Sym>> It's great to see so much interest in partial reconfiguration. I posted

Reply to
Ivan

Symon,

I can't give you the names of the companies, as we have non-disclosure policies. I can direct you to our web pages that have customer testimonials and press releases.

I will say that for development of software defined radio (SDR), reconfigurability is the only practical solution (OK, IMHO). As such, we have been highly motivated to make it (the flow) work (better) by the demand from companies supplying advanced communications from around the entire globe who also believe as we do.

Is it perfect yet? No.

Is it something people are investing megabucks in?

You bet. SDR for JTRS is a $5 billion program for the next 7 years (just one program). Like any military program you can expect that to overrun by ten or twenty times that.

Is all that $$ FPGA chips? No, of course not. There are batteries, antennnas, plastic cases, etc.

Is it enough $$ to have FPGA and DSP companies sit up and take notice? Yup.

Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Ivan,

Software defined radio is one application. And even here, there are people who say that DSP can also do the job for less cost/power.

Spacecraft traveling to other planets is another (although you could argue that they just need to be reprogrammed, and not dynamically).

Also possibly orbiting communications satellites.

So far, there is more solution than problem.

There are examples where a vendor did something very clever, and saved money and had a competitive advantage using dynamic reconfiguration, but nothing that has taken the world by storm.

Aust> Hi Symon,

Reply to
Austin Lesea