Virtex-II Pro: Reading/Writing data with Compact Flash

Hello, We are using the Xilinx Virtex-II Pro Developement System XUP-V2P. Our objective is to read a binary file that contains 0101 into the board from the compact flash card, then modify the file and write it back to the board. Right now we would just like to invert the numbers, to make things simple.

Our main problem is when we connect the CF Card to the Board the SYSTEM ACE ERROR light illuminates. We have checked to make sure that it is formatted correcly using mkdosfs, as recommended by Xilinx. The only thing loaded on the card is our .bin file.

Does anyone know what else could cause this?

Thank you.

Reply to
abright52

Hello, We are using the Xilinx Virtex-II Pro Developement System XUP-V2P. Our objective is to read a binary file that contains 0101 into the board from the compact flash card, then modify the file and write it back to the board. Right now we would just like to invert the numbers, to make things simple.

Our main problem is when we connect the CF Card to the Board the SYSTEM ACE ERROR light illuminates. We have checked to make sure that it is formatted correcly using mkdosfs, as recommended by Xilinx. The only thing loaded on the card is our .bin file.

Does anyone know what else could cause this?

Thank you.

Reply to
abright52

Hello

This error is due to the system ace is looking for .ace file for configuring the FPGA. If it can not find the file the led will bi lit.

Reply to
Lasse

Are you using any type of operating system to do the reading and writing?

Reply to
David

We are not actually configuring the FPGA using the CF Card, we are using the USB JTAG for configuration. Do I need to load a .ace file a different way?

Lasse wrote:

the FPGA. If it can not find the file the led will bi lit.

Reply to
abright52

Reply to
abright52

Anyone else have any ideas? We are trying to get this done for a school project and our professor that is supposed to help us, doesn't know how to solve the problem. We have tired to contact Xilinx and they have been uncooperative.

Thanks.

abright52 wrote:

Reply to
abright52

You have been given the answer already!

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Actually, I had posted a reply to his "answer"! You can use the Compact Flash port in different ways. Do you still need a .ace file when you are not programming the board through the CF port? If you do need a .ace file, what do I need to do to create the specific file for my project? I have tried to create a .ace file and loaded it onto the CF Card, but I still got the error light. So if someone could enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong, that would be great.

Thanks.

Reply to
abright52