builing a SPI interface in vhdl

HI, I'm new in FPGA, I have to build a SPI interface (in VHDL) to let an fpga read and write a flash memory. The fpga is a Xilinx Spartan3E, while the memory is an ST M25P16 (serial I/O). Do you know if is there any built vhdl core to start with?

Thanks in advance Giulio

Reply to
techG

Regards,

-- Mark McDougall, Engineer Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216 Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

The problem with SPI is that it comes in a near-infinity of differen flavours, so IP designed for 1 flavour might be difficult to adapt for different flavour.

Good luck! (You will need it)

Reply to
RCIngham

But the OP has a flash memory already specified.

The SPI interface is fairly trivial (once you've mastered the shift register); it's a good project for a beginner.

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

An SPI interface is really pretty easy to implement. The major difficulty is reading through the device data sheet to make sure you get all the details correct. There are a large number of different flavors of SPI, so an interface developed for one application is probably not going to be a perfect fit for another. It is a good beginner's project.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

I agree both of you: this is a very good project for a beginner. Once you master the shift register the other things become a piece of cake. Try to use simulator (Modelsim XE) for code simulation and Chipscope for HW debug. These two tools will eventually save you a lot of time.

Guru

Reply to
Guru

You can try

The SPI core interface is quite simple to code up as well. Cheers

Reply to
futzy.r

i just found a project for SPI controller in opencores.org (spiflashcontroller) it's not as simple as I expected, but i found it more useful! thank you all

Reply to
techG