best SPI flash configuration solution for Xilinx FPGA's

Hi

the standard SPI flash devices are cheap so all FPGA vendors are adding support for them, either directly in the FPGA or by using external PLD helper. Xilinx has an app note about using SPI flash (that uses an small PLD) I have tried that solution (it is implemented on some Memec boards) and well its not so nice and easy solution. lots of conversion steps required etc..

for a few days I succesfully tested a solution that is really simple. The answer is:

use smallest Lattice EC device as SPI bootloader !!

Lattice EC family supports SPI flash for its own configuration, to add more devices into config chain it is sufficent to wire Xilinx CCLK and DIN to SPI pins of the EC (CS tie low).

then use DOS command

copy /b lattice.bit+xilinx.bit board.bit

and then program the serial flash using lattice provided ispVMsystem (that support spi flash indirect programming)

power cycle and voila both lattice and xilinx FPGAs are happily configured from the serial flash.

I am using this method on XydraXC 'high end eval board' that is developed for camera+display applications.

the heeb board Xilinx design uses an PicoBlaze as I2C init machine to configure the Chrontel 7301 and Agielent mobile camera SoC.

just a few minutes ago I did first time power up the board with working camera application (eg first time without the use of jtag cable).

the EASINESS of the Lattice SPI approuch made me to write this post.

--- I have spent days and days trouble shooting the Xilinx SPI on the memec V4 board, never got it working.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Welcome back Antti :-) Seems that you can't stay away from here :-)

Reply to
francesco_poderico