Which linux distribution for gcc beginner

I'm an experienced embedded software developer but I've never
used Linux or GCC.  Which Linux distribution would you recommend
for a beginner?  I expect to be able to dual boot with Windows.
I was planning to buy the Red Hat Linux 9 Bible but Red Hat has
moved on to newer versions.  Is there something else that would be
better?

Thanks
Kevin
--
[Remove ".invalid"s to respond by email.]

Re: Which linux distribution for gcc beginner

Mandrake 9.2 should do you fine. I currently use it for Linux SW development
using the Anjuta IDE.

Ian

Re: Which linux distribution for gcc beginner

I'm glad with the SuSE distris,

Michael
--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Re: Which linux distribution for gcc beginner

While I encourage people to try Linux, just OOI, you don't _have_ to
use Linux to use GCC if that's all you're trying to do: you can also
use cygwin in windows: http://www.cygwin.com /

I think Red Hat has generally been better for beginners, and that
tradition continues with Fedora Linux: http://fedora.redhat.com /

It's true that the "official" Red Hat Linux is disappearing.

After that, I've heard Mandrake is meant to be quite beginner-friendly,
although they dabble much more in closed source than Red Hat does
unfortunately.

Jifl

Re: Which linux distribution for gcc beginner
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:47:57 +0000,

Well, the "plain" Red Hat Basic is being transformed to Fedora (as you
mention) but Red Hat Enterprise Workstation and Red Hat Enterprise
Server (RHEW and RHES) are still around.

Red Hat Basic users with current subscriptions (up to some November?
drop dead date, IIRC) can switch to RHEW at a 50% discount, effectively
transforming a $60/year support package to $90/year (for up to two
years) or they can go to the free Fedora distro.

Personally, I'm OK with paying for RHEW for a production machine. That's
an affordable, supported distro for "serious" work and there are still
many options for learning or hacking. The old free as in speech not free
as in beer thing.

And the observation that Red Hat is the only distro to bring suite
against SCO is also an incentive, for me at least, to throw some support
money their way.

Recommend that the OP surf on over to Distro Watch and check out their
descriptions of the pros/cons of the major distros.
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

The Red Hat 9 Bible (ISBN 0-7645-3938-8, if we're talking about the same
one) comes with the 3-CD version of the RH9 basic distro and you get a
free "guest" account that you can use to up2date the packages to the
current release level. It's not a bad deal and has pretty good info on
what to do when, where, and how.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Which linux distribution for gcc beginner

I agree entirely with that opinion.

Red Hat makes a good choice for organisations trying to standardise on a
single distribution, where a few people will have to support many users.  It
is also often the best supported distribution by third-parties.

Mandrake has always been easier for beginners than Red Hat - it is
undoubtably one of the most beginner-friendly distributions out there.  I
haven't heard of Mandrake "dabbling in closed source", although I may be out
of touch - my impression has always been that both Red Hat and Mandrake have
been very much on the "all code is open source - you pay for the service,
support, etc." line.  Perhaps you are thinking of Suse, whose installation
and configuration utility YAST is closed source (although they otherwise
make huge contributions to open source).  Suse is always a solid choice for
a professional - amongst other things, it comes with excellent printed
docuementation.

An alternative is Knoppix - download the iso image, burn the CD, reboot, and
you have a working linux system running live from the CD.  If you like it,
run the hard-disk installer script and you're done.