Video Grabbers for Linux

Hi All, I need a video grabber card to grab some video (probably NTSC/PAL type) and place the result in system memory in realtime. Ideally it'll need appropriate linux drivers, run under redhat 8 and a suitable c code library api for controlling from my app. Has anybody else done anything like this?. Can anyone recomend a card for doing this?. There's loads of cards that do this with Windows, but I can't find many ones that are supported with linux drivers.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received,

Ta, Dave

Reply to
Dave Moore

I have a "Medion" TV/radio card with a philips saa7134 which is supported under my verson RH7.3 with a later kernel and downloaded and compiled drivers for it, it works great using mplayer and related software.

Regards The Alt

Dave Moore wrote:

The longest supported class of video capture cards are those based on the Brooktree bttv chipset. You can do a websearch or just look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/ for info.

Not every card based on the bttv chipset is guaranteed to work, but most do. Sometimes it takes a little finagling; you have to insmod the tuner module with the correct type and the bttv module with the correct card (i.e. for the STB card insmod tuner type=6 followed by insmod bttv card=3).

Reply to
C. P. Weidling

well I have been interested in the same thing for a while.

I bought a Picolo card from Euresys. It has a linux drivers and software (i haven't done much with it) but a lot more Windows software (spent most of my time on this).

It is good but it is about $500 australian.

By the way what is a good embedded small Linux distribution that can fit on a 128MB CF that I can write software for in Red Hat 8 and run it embedded?

type)

library

this?.

linux

Reply to
bobi

Yes, that's probalby the cheapest and easiest way, but I'd suggest to stay away from ati all in wonders, which are also bttv based, but whose drivers are rather harder to install. Besides their acquisition quality is quite poor. I'm a linux newbie and haven't yet been able to make TV work, my fault though. Also do stay away from wild crossposting, you can always put a followup to one particular group. I guess you'd have to be more specific about your needs and budget to get a clearer answer. the average price for a standard bttv card is around 80-100$, I think. Jacques

Reply to
charroy jacques

"bobi" wrote in news:bh9vit$2h74$ snipped-for-privacy@otis.netspace.net.au:

Interestng, the Picolo is about US$200, but their Iota looks more like what I want, at about US$634.

What software do you get with the card? How usable is it for simple capture and live display? (I also need to display simple overlays of text and a rubberbanding wire rectangle.) There's a much fancier SDK available but I don't know if that's needed.

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/

You have the Multicam for Picolo software and then there is the Picolo Industrial driver.

The Multicam has examples for Delphi, Visual C++, Borland Builder and BC5. There are seperate examples for Black and white and colour image capture.

I am not an experienced programmer but I managed to get it going using Delphi 5. Most of the time I am using a B&W camera. You can easily capture an image and have a live display. I have also overlayed a text message to crawl on the bottom of the screen.

I still don't have the experience with it but I am getting there.

P.S. Now they have a linux driver and i have tried to compile a program using Kylix in Red Hat.

what

capture

Reply to
bobi

lsmod -v will show more info. Use that, and the brand of your card with google. That should turn up the settings.

modprobe bttv will also tell you more.

EJ

--
Remove the obvious part (including the dot) for my email address
Reply to