Video Grabbers for Linux

Hi All,
    I need a video grabber card to grab some video (probably NTSC/PAL type)
and place the result in system memory in realtime. Ideally it'll need
appropriate linux drivers, run under redhat 8 and a suitable c code library
api for controlling from my app. Has anybody else done anything like this?.
Can anyone recomend a card for doing this?. There's loads of cards that do
this with Windows, but I can't find many ones that are supported with linux
drivers.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received,

Ta,
Dave

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux
I have a "Medion" TV/radio card with a philips saa7134 which is supported under
my verson RH7.3 with a later kernel and downloaded and compiled drivers for it,
it works great using mplayer and related software.

Regards
The Alt

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux

The longest supported class of video capture cards are those based
on the Brooktree bttv chipset.  You can do a websearch or just
look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/ for info.

Not every card based on the bttv chipset is guaranteed to work, but
most do.  Sometimes it takes a little finagling; you have to insmod
the tuner module with the correct type and the bttv module with the
correct card (i.e. for the STB card insmod tuner type=6 followed by
insmod bttv card=3).

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux

Yes, that's probalby the cheapest and easiest way, but I'd suggest to
stay away from ati all in wonders, which are also bttv based, but whose
drivers are rather harder to install. Besides their acquisition quality
is quite poor. I'm a linux newbie and haven't yet been able to make TV
work, my fault though. Also do stay away from wild crossposting, you can
always put a followup to one particular group. I guess you'd have to be
more specific about your needs and budget to get a clearer answer. the
average price for a standard bttv card is around 80-100$, I think.
Jacques

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux

lsmod -v will show more info. Use that, and the brand of your card with
google. That should turn up the settings.

modprobe bttv will also tell you more.

EJ
--
Remove the obvious part (including the dot) for my email address

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux
well I have been interested in the same thing for a while.

I bought a Picolo card from Euresys. It has a linux drivers and software (i
haven't done much with it) but a lot more
Windows software (spent most of my time on this).

It is good but it is about $500 australian.

By the way what is a good embedded small Linux distribution that can fit on
a 128MB CF that I can write software for in Red Hat 8 and run it
embedded?

type)
library
this?.
linux

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux

Interestng, the Picolo is about US$200, but their Iota looks more like what
I want, at about US$634.

What software do you get with the card? How usable is it for simple capture
and live display? (I also need to display simple overlays of text and a
rubberbanding wire rectangle.) There's a much fancier SDK available but I
don't know if that's needed.

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken /

Re: Video Grabbers for Linux
You have the Multicam for Picolo software and then there is the Picolo
Industrial driver.

The Multicam has examples for Delphi, Visual C++, Borland Builder and BC5.
There are seperate examples for Black and white and colour image capture.

I am not an experienced programmer but I managed to get it going using
Delphi 5.
Most of the time I am using a B&W camera. You can easily capture an image
and
have a live display. I have also overlayed a text message to crawl on the
bottom of
the screen.

I still don't have the experience with it but I am getting there.

P.S. Now they have a linux driver and i have tried to compile a program
using Kylix in Red Hat.

what
capture

Site Timeline