install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

Hi There,

I'm trying to get a gnu toolchain for ARM Cortex-M3 established, so
far unsuccesful.
I got instructions from  http://www.gnuarm.com/ [on the bottom] - I
setup cygwin and installed all the required things - so I thought...
However, at step 3 building the compiler I get:
cd /usr/src/binutils-2.22.51-1 && autogen Makefile.def
/usr/bin/sh: autogen: command not found
make: *** [/usr/src/binutils-2.22.51-1/Makefile.in] Error 127

this after configuring with these options:
$ /usr/src/binutils-2.22.51-1/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/
cygdrive/c/mingw/bin/ --enable-interwork --enable-multilib

So I thought I should install autogen, okay, downloaded sources with
cvs but the configure script here tells me it couldn't find a working
version of libguile (which I have installed in cygwin) - okay, I
downloaded the sources of libguile as well and wanted to build them
myself but I don't know how...

has anyone built a gnu toolchain before and can help me how to get
this accomplished in cygwin - if that's possible at all? Or should I
better get a virtual Linux system up and running?
Thanks for hints, tips or suggestions!
roN

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

I'd recommend against building gcc under cygwin.  It's certainly
possible, but it can be a lot of work and the cause of much frustration
if you are not experienced in such builds.  And the final binary will be
quite a bit slower than one built with mingw.

Building gcc is usually easier on Linux.  But unless you have particular
reason to want to build it, why not be lazy and use pre-built
toolchains?  You can get them for Windows or Linux from various sources
- either commercial (but with free or cheap versions) from CodeSourcery,
Code Red, or various others, or non-commercial from
<http://www.yagarto.de or <http://www.gnuarm.com amongst others.

Of course, if you /want/ to build it yourself (it's fun, and you can get
the latest versions, including development versions), then it's
certainly possible.  But try to find instructions for using mingw and
msys - the resulting binaries will be much more efficient, and feel more
"native" to windows.

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

Cygwin?/Windows? Ouch.
This is situation where it pays to run Linux. Under Debian I can use
the emdebian pre-compiled cross development tools

After setting up /etc/apt/sources.list, it becomes no more complicated
than

apt-get update

apt-get install gcc-4.4-arm-linux
apt-get install gdb-arm-linux-gnueabi

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

Ok, linux is better then sex. [1]

Can someone please answer the question ???

don

[1] Linux is user friendly, its just particular about who its friends
are.[2]

Linux is user friendly, Linux users are particular about who their
friends are.

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

You might be able to do that from Cygwin, or at least get all the source
that way.

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

That page is _old_.

Google "summon-arm-toolchain", and look until you find the GIT link.
Then get the latest, read the comments, and see what you can see.

Certainly on a linux box it's just the bee's knees.

--
Tim Wescott
Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

I think you are making your life unnecessarily hard.  Use a native
Windows GCC build like Yagarto.de, or the free "lite" version of the
CodeSourcery tools (now Mentor Embedded).

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for Microcontrollers.
More than 7000 downloads per month.

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

Not sure if this answers the question, but doesn't cygwin have binaries
for autogen and most of the gnu packages in the distribution ?. Just run
install again and select from the list to update. Unless you really want
to build from source for the experience, it just makes more work.

This doesn't guarantee success though. Spent quite a bit of time this year
experimenting with cross cortex toolchain builds to run on linux / solaris
and found loads of issues. Almost like a series of hurdles to overcome :-).
To start, the build process does seem to assume quite a bit of the gnu
infrastructure in place. For 4.6.1, for example, there are non gnu math
libraries which must be  installed first and be at the required
rev level, otherwise gcc won't build at all. For solaris, they had to be
built from source and include stuff like the -m32 gcc switch, otherwise you
get 64 bit by default and elf format error messages half way through the
gcc
build. None of this is difficult, but can be very time consuming if you
are starting from scratch.

Initially starting on a solaris 10 sparc host, eventually gave up,
backtracked
to linux to get a process together for a clean build, then applied that
back
to the solaris build. Of the linuxen tried, suse 11 was the most sorted in
terms of in place packages and their rev levels and was able to get a clean
build there with not too much effort. The binutils package seems to build
anywhere without issues, but gcc and newlib are much more fussy.

I was fortunate enough to have quite a bit of free time available this
year,
but if you are in a hurry, a prebuilt toolchain might be a better plan...

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

so straightforward at all...

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

Checking notes: list of gnu and other packages installed
to support toolchain builds:

autoconf, automake, binutils, bison, bzip2, flex, gcc, texinfo,
gmp, libgcc, libiconv, m4, make, gmp, mpfr, perl, ppl

Not all these may be required, but make, flex, bison, texinfo, m4
definately are and the gmp, mpfr and ppl libraries are required
for later gcc revsions. The catch being, of course, that later
Cortex such as m0 are only supported by later gcc versions :-).

Another point is that gcc tarballs may incorrectly unpack with
anything other than latest gnu tar, so you need to add that
to the above list. No messages from tar, but gcc build fails
with cryptic error messages...

Regards,

Chris

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

The GMP, MPFR and MPC libraries can be automatically built by the GCC build
process,
just unpack the sources into subfolders inside the GCC source tree.
<http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html has the details.

-a

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3

process,

That's true, but then you don't have the opportunity of doing the make
tests for the
libraries, which is the only way to ensure that the build is correct...

Regards,

Chris

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3
Last time I tried this I also was unable to get Guile to
build under Windows. Decided life is too short and got the
excellent CodeRed version, which was excellent.

If you really must build a Windows version you may
have better luck with building it under Linux (gets
a bit confusing, careful with definitions of the 3
platforms involved in this exercise)...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3
Typo above, excellent tool was CodeSourcery.
I'm using CodeRed now on a different project, also great.
Good luck,
Best Regards, Dave

Re: install gnu toolchain for Cortex-M3
Thank you all very much for the valuable information!
I don't "just" wanna give up but will have to see how much time I get
to invest for this these days. I think i'll probably need to spit out
some eval-findings report in the first week of January...
I'll dig a bit further and if that won't do it, i'll swtich to a pre
built tool chain from Code Sourcery e.g.
Again, Thanks very much for the assistance!
It's much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ron

Site Timeline