Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

current it

The concrete fasteners to the floor were overkill?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I seem to recall that in the early days of USB there were quite a few peripherals with A connectors. Took a little while to stabilize (or standardize) on the current layout.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I have seent it once, on a hard disk enclosure for a 2.5" drive. The cable even had three connectors, so you could leech power from an additional USB port if the drive drew too much power for one port.

--
RoRo
Reply to

It's not quite that bad.

0.0034/0.5 = 0.0068

0.0068 * 24 * 60 = 9.79 minutes per day (at full HP!).

One of the 36V nanophosphate packs (A123 cells) should do it.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Jeßus

it

Only if it enumerates as a high-power device.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Rare-earth crystals supporting your cable will make it conduct better. Works for hi-fi...

geoff

Reply to
geoff

maybe I can find one of them thar turbocharged cables

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Fairly common for 2.5" external drives IME. The start up current often exceeds 500mA.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

also:

some devices (eg PCs running linux) can (optionally) behave like usb devices or like hosts and to connect them (as a device) to another host you'd need an AM-AM cable,

I've never tried it, just seen the option "usb widget support" in ther kernel

Reply to
Jasen Betts

There is no mechanism for transfering data directly between USB host controllers. You can't connect one PC USB host port to a second PC and do anything useful. Some controllers (not PC ones) ate OTG controllers which means they can switch role from host to device but the OTG spec has its own set of connectors and cables (there is an extra signal IIRC that designates which end is the default host). An 'A' to 'A' cable would require a device in the middle that appears as such to each of the hosts and defines some means to pass data across.

I'm guessing that "usb widget support" for Linux means that the Linux system has a USB device port and that a PC, or whatever, USB host can control it. A photoframe might be an example of that.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

eed

wn

es

Yes, the ability to switch roles (OTG or otherwise) is first a hardware capability, which then needs to be supported in the operating system's USB implementation. The palm pre for example is believed to have hardware which could be OTG capable (unless precluded by some detail of PCB layout or PHY hookup) but the current software operates only in device mode.

USB "gadget" is a linux device-side interface system often used in embedded linux systems to emulate a USB mass storage device (point it at a local partition or image file), provide a network interface over USB, etc or I believe in the latest version potentially a combination.

I haven't looked into it, but I think that in an OTG device "gadget" would only handle the device mode - you'd switch it it host mode at a lower driver level and it would presumably then behave like the linux USB host implementation.

Reply to
cs_posting
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

I'll bet it is an Olimex.

The reason it was done, was because he couldn't get a suitable housing big enough to match the standard BM connector, so he used an AM connector. Big mistake.

Now, he has the correct box, to match the correct connector. This was done with, I think it was 3 products. All now corrected.

That was the design flaw that lead me to believe that the USB chainsaw was a spoof.

Read further down for the "The chainsaw spoof!! Reaction?" thread.

Cheers Don...