Newbie: want to learn ARM9.

Hi Gurus,

I want learn ARM9 based embedded systems. A friend suggested to use STR9-COMSTICK (from S microelectronics)evaluataton kit for the purpose. I want a low cost kit. I have sound experience in c, c++, linux os,device drivers, syste programming, data structures and alogirthms.

Would somebody would answer my ollowing queries:

- Is it the right choice?

- Can I get the above kit in SanDiego/California? If yes please write th address.

Regards, Arvind

Reply to
Arvind4

This is a rather nice little board, and inexpensive. However you

*will* want an external JTAG adapter to develop with it.

Totally depends on what you are trying to develop. You should have some project in mind before you buy your development system.

This type of hardware is, by and large, not sold over the counter; it's available for online purchase only. Of course, by the miracle of credit cards and delivery services, you can have it delivered to San Diego.

Reply to
larwe

This has just come out:-

looks very nice. Low power, Touch Screen. Loads of memory.

No idea if you need a JTAG or not.

Peter

Reply to
peter.cutting

No you don't. There is a USB JTAG debugger with it.

Yes, it has USB (debug and user port) and Ethernet.

Yes, your are luck. I am in San Diego/California. I got one for evaluating ARM9, but we really want STM32 instead. We don't need the

512M Flash with it anyway.

Contact me at http colon slash slash linnix dot com You can come pick it up if you want to.

Yes, there are miracles.

Reply to
linnix

I did not say you will need one. I said you will WANT one. If you are using the onboard debugger, you can't conveniently power-cycle the target. There are also issues with unexpected current paths going through your computer.

Meaningless answer. Since the OP has no idea what application he wants to build, it is impossible to say if it is the right board. If he wants to do a GUI, for instance, it is decidedly not the right board.

Reply to
larwe

I don't know if we are talking about the same board. My STR9-comStick has no external JTAG port. You have to JTAG or Soft-Reset the ARM with the USB FT2232 chip.

Yes, its only good for apps needing ethernet and big flash (512M).

Reply to
linnix

Sorry, that's for 512K bytes flash. Unlimited development tool chain included.

linnix