learn embedded system

Hi,

I want to learn embedded system and currently reading "Microcontroller Projects in C for the 8051". It requires to have C51 compiler to run the projectsinside the book.

Is there a free compatible C51 compiler for learner ?

Any pointer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, YC

Reply to
YC

There is SDCC.

Gary Kato

What does embedded system mean ?

Reply to
Gerald Maher

To me, an embedded system is a microcontroller or microprocessor system hidden inside some other product, where the end user will not be aware of the processor's presence.

There are embedded controllers or embedded systems in cars - controlling the engine, anti-skid brakes, and other things. Embedded controllers can also be found in TVs, VCRs, microwave ovens (and probably most electronic devices)

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html

What he's referring to is an embedded system. In fact, the 8-bits he has in mind is what makes up the majority of embedded systems out there. Your powerpc/ARM/MIPS-based system running an RTOS is just a fraction of what many feel an embedded system is.

Reply to
Mike V.

In article , YC writes

The compiler the book probably requires is the industry standard Keil C51. there is a fully working (code size limited) compiler suite with simulator debugger on the Keil web site.

Other options are the

and
8051 compilers. they also have working eval compilers but I think both of theirs are time limited.

There is some free 8051 information in the form of the C51 Primer at

Also some assemblers, monitors etc.

There are some free 8051 compilers but they are not worth the trouble compared to the Keil unless you are going over the size limit on a hobby project that is not doing anything serious. Also the free ones don't have the IDE or simulator.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Gary Kato writes

Not really. Only if you are going larger than the eval versions of the commercial compilers and it is a hobby project.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Checkout

to get started with embedded software.

Sandeep

EventStudio 2.0 - Embedded System Design CASE Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

In article , EventHelix.com writes

You are clearly on a different planet to the rest of us...

A case tool is not the place to *start learning* about embedded systems. Commercial adverts are fine in their place but will do you more harm than good if you shove them out like this. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I was not pointing to the CASE tool. That is just in the signature.

Most of the website is dedicated to articles about embedded software development.

Sandeep

EventStudio 2.0 - Distributed System Design CASE Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

To me you have to go back to the roots, An embedded system is some combination of computer hardware and software, either fixed in capability or programmable, that is specifically designed for a particular kind of application device. Industrial machines, automobiles, medical equipment, cameras, household appliances, airplanes, vending machines, and toys (as well as the more obvious cellular phone and PDA are among the myriad possible hosts of an embedded system. Embedded systems that are programmable are provided with a programming interface.

There is more than 8051

Reply to
Gerald Maher

In article , Gerald Maher writes

but it is a good place to start and as he has a book on it why not? The book is an entry level book, the 8051 is the most common MCU on the planet and the most widely used in embedded work. so start there and I am sure he will find his way round to the other things you mention.

BTW I have examples of ALL the items you mention above that use an 8051. BTW there is argument that a PDA is not an "embedded system" as such just a restricted pc (pc in the generic sense).

Also 90% of embedded systems that are programmable do NOT have a programming interface as they do NOT use an RTOS. Whilst most of the 32 bit and some of the 16 bit systems do use an RTOS. Very few of the 8 bit systems do.