Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Hi,

we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE. i want to know if the product support command line compile a c project? and, does it support something like compile using Makefile ?

thanks.

- woody

Reply to
Steven Woody

Opening a command prompt, going to the IAR bin directory and typing "iccarm" I get a whole lot of command line options. Creating a simple C file and typing "iccarm main.c" I get some output - so the answer appears to be Yes. Maybe it would have been quicker for you to try this yourself than write your post?

Regards, Richard.

Richard

Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a makefile. If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status the interaction with the make program will not be good. You need only read the documentation of your make program.

--
  Some informative links:
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
Chuck F.

Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to perform the compile operation.

Reply to
larwe

I haven't seen Chuck's post on my newsreader yet, but as an example...

CodeVisionAVR, a C compiler targeting Atmel AVR microcontrollers most emphatically does not support usage by make. You load all your C files into a "project" in the GUI, and hit the "build" button. Every C file is compiled every time. Rather than object files, a big honkin ASM file is generated and passed to an assembler. The application is "linked" at the ASM level.

There is _no_ command line interface whatsoever. Many users have been begging for one for some time, but the architecture of the system apparently makes this difficult. Even if there was, it would probably take the form of "build the project" rather than "compile the file."

Regards, -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Even there. There is an underlying set of command line driven programs, including the compiler and linker. I am thinking of Microsofts own stuff (Visual Studio etc.) here. I doubt that anybody elses stuff is fundamentally different.

More details at:
Reply to
Chuck F.

Like I said: "not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction".

If an IDE simply calls external command-line programs, then good - but there are unfortunately some that are totally "integrated" in the real monolithic single-executable sense of the word.

Reply to
larwe

i believe it is right in theory. but finding out how to properly pass many options to compiler and linker without a simple example is very hard as i think. especiall, beside the object files, IAR's linker has a command file as it's parameter, i don't know how to use or generate it.

so i like to know, is there anyone successfully do a Makefile for a IAR embeded project ? if so, i just want an example. thanks.

- woody

Reply to
Steven Woody

By the way - just so you know, the answer to this is yes - we have built MSP430 and NEC 78K0 projects with makefiles using MAKE from the free command-line edition of Borland C++ 5.5. I can't pull the files to tell you how it was done, but this is more to tell you that it IS possible (note that these were old versions of IAR).

Note that we despise IAR and have successfully migrated away from them.

Reply to
larwe

Create a simple project in the IDE that has the options you require - build it - look in the 'build' output window to find the command line it is using - copy this into your makefile.

Regards, Richard.

Richard

Thank You All .

Reply to