IAR Embedded Workbench IDE

Hi,

I have now made a project template, consisting of an RTOS, some drivers etc., dir-structure and the IDE setup

My problem is that I do not know how to save this template as start of a new project.

It is not possible to 'Save as', and renaming the IDE files does not work either.

Any smart ideas?

Thanks,

Regards Jens

Reply to
You Know Who

Send an email to IARs support people.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

They don't provide support for their free versions

Reply to
Mike Harrison

And the support they provide for their paid versions is limited to "Your version is twenty minutes old and your license only entitles you to versions released more than five minutes ago. Please go buy the latest upgrade, and a service contract, and then port your code because we changed the header files and standard libraries, and buy a new ICE because the new IDE only works with new ICEs".

Reply to
larwe

"You Know Who" skrev i meddelandet news:45ff9d5d$0$866$ snipped-for-privacy@dread12.news.tele.dk...

Look in their directory structure, It is pretty obvious, once you find the right directory.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

My support from IAR has been good (under service contract).

Reply to
kkkisok

"Ulf Samuelsson" skrev i en meddelelse news:etoim8$dqe$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

Hi Ulf,

What directory structure? And what to do?

Could you be a bit more specific?

Regards Jens

Reply to
You Know Who

That answer indicates that you do not have a service contract. (I know you don't :-) Why do you feel that you are *entitled* to support for a free compiler?

Everyone knows, that the free compilers are there as a tool for them to increase their sales and it is a win-win situation for the potential customer and the compiler company.

Somehow, I seem to remember that gcc also evolves, even if it is free.

Some can live with the limitations and some cannot.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

The files below their installation top level Typically They support a few different types of projects. When EW starts up, it reads the projects from one of the subdirectories.

Yes, I could but I would not want to rob you of educating yourself on their directory tree.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

That hasn't been my experience at all. When I've contacted IAR tech support, they've actually been able to answer my questions. One very unusual thing is that in queries over a two-year time period, I've actually been helped by the same person!

I've been able to keep the IAR ARM dev systems version 3.10 and

4.20 on the same machine so that I don't have to worry about changes to libraries or ICE version compatibility issues.

I also got the J-Link USB-JTAG hardware very inexpensively with with a starter kit from ATMEL.

Yes, they do charge several hundred dollars per year for updates and support. OTOH, the cost of my time in getting GCC running on a separate machine and learning Linux has for a different project been comparable to a decade of IAR support.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

IAR offer some excellent support, usually with a direct line to their key developers. They and Cosmic are always a pleasure to work with.

Products by and for professionals, and worth what you pay both to acquire them and to keep them in support.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to

And live with the many benefits, which are not in any way limited to initial cost. You only present one side of the issue as though that was all there was to it.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

"Jonathan Kirwan" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

So that even Jon understands:

Some can live with the limitations [of an commerical compiler] and some cannot.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Same response. There are limitations and benefits all 'round. Better to just point out that it is a good idea to realize there are differences and to examine them for any particular situation.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I take it you had a bad experience with IAR.. ?

I can only say from my experience that their support is very good, even to the point of compiler support personel phoning me and explaining what where and why..

Reply to
TheDoc