Programming Microchip PIC from command line

Is there a tool to program Microchip PIC's from command line?

Reply to
Nickolai Leschov

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:36:19 +0300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Nickolai Leschov instead replied:

Which command line?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

My host OS is Windows.

I use MPLAB with HI-TECH C for programming PICs. My programmer/debugger is MPLAB ICD 2.

One day I decided that I had enough of MPLAB IDE and made a script to compile my project from command line. That works nice. Now if I could only have a command-line tool that will program (write binary code to) the target device, I will be really well set up.

Regards, Nickolai Leschov

Reply to
Nickolai Leschov

has PIC programmers that can run automated from the command line. Make sure that you get one that can program your particular processor.

--
Thad
Reply to

Thank you. But it seems like those will not be useful for me. My processors are surface mounted and need to be in-curcuit programmed

Nickolai

Reply to
Nickolai Leschov

We have command batch compile/program for AVR/ARM, but no PIC yet. We are sick of point and click and IDE in general. Graphical interface looks good for beginners, but most will outgrow it. Unfortunately, manufacturers/tool makers are not listening.

Reply to
linnix

The Xilinx tools are nice that way (or at least were as of version V or so). The tools themselves are a collection of command-line utilities, and the IDE is just a front-end. Moreover, it doesn't take too long using the IDE to stumble across the log file (handily presented in a window) that shows you all the commands that were invoked to build your firmware.

That made it all _very_ easy to put the whole build process into a makefile, including downloading to the chip. I ended up just using the IDE for simulations, and for occasional editing when I was doing a mix of simulation and in-the-real testing.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

... snip ...

That sounds refreshingly sane.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

As a PIC man for 30 years I would only use Microchip programmers.

These all run from MPLAB.

Reply to
Marra

I use picp,

which can run a picstart plus from the command line. Works well.

Paul Probert

Reply to
Paul Probert

I suspect that you can build a cable to go from their programmer to your board and work that way, but give them a call/email to make sure.

--
Thad
Reply to

The three programmers listed on this page are driven by command-line tools.

-- Dave Tweed

Reply to
David Tweed

Microchip gives you a command line programmer. BUT, not for the ICD2, just the regular programmers.

Reply to
Neil

Can you please specify more exactly where can I find it.

I might switch to one of those regular programmers if they can program my devices in-system. I heard of some them can [1]. I thought of switching to third-party programmer in future [2], but if it is from Microchip - maybe I'll use it instead.

[1] MPLAB PM3 Universal Device Programmer
[2] USBProg PIC Programmer, suggested by David Tweed
Nickolai Leschov

It is part of the MPLAB installation. There is a separate program only interface program. It is supposed to have a command line.

Reply to
Neil

You might be talking about the utilities I see in MPLAB8\MPLAB IDE\Programmer Utilities there I see folders called "PM3Cmd", "Procmd", and "Visual Procmd". As far as I understand, they are for the Microchip PM3 programmer, which we don't have yet.

Can I program my chips in-curcuit from the command line with my MPLAB ICD2 ? Does anyone do it?

Reply to
Nickolai Leschov

..

?

I am using the PM3 programmer to programme in circuit using the PM3Cmd and a SD MMC card to stor the code, buti am having problems loading the code to the programmer from the card!!!!

Reply to
HTwoGo