Use of Extension Cord

That was my point. The media always blames the PA system or anything they can think of before anything is tested to find the real cause. For example: A man I used to work for serviced school fire alarms as a side business. He was on a call one day and got a shock from a piece of conduit that supplied power to the service outlet next to the alarm cabinet. He took a piece of wire and touched it to the grounded alarm cabinet and the bare metal outlet box and tripped the breaker. They called their maintenance people in to find that it had 120 VAC on it and it was traced to some damage where the conduit had separated, and the insulation was worn off the black wire. There was no green bonding wire in the conduit, so the rest of the run downstream was hot. Multiple factors caused the fault, but it could have killed someone. It turned out that kids were jumping up and grabbing the conduit at a bend and hanging on them to show off, and had finally pulled the screws out of the ceiling that held it in place.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

it is safe.

If it's somewhere where it cannot cool (rolled up, with other wirse, under something behind a TV set, etc) it could get too warm.

I didn't bother checking the sig, infact I was reading your post in the replying window which had already removed your sig.

if we have electric heating (which most of us don't as gas is far cheaper) it ain't all used.

I don't run my car at full revs all the time, no. But I do sometimes. And even for people that don't, they'll be going to at least half full revs. I can't see anyone using even half of that power in a house.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Educated guess then.....

Touchtyping anyone?

Religion is the most illogical thing there is.

What are you saying, you solved your religion problem? It's still there.

To reduce the chances.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

I thought I wanted a career.  Turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

protecting it is safe.

something behind a TV set, etc) it could get too warm.

If it can handle 15 amps, why rate it at 5? There must be a reason it's sold as

5 amp wire....

even for people that don't, they'll be going to at least half full revs. I can't see anyone using even half of that power in a house.

Granted, no A/C necessary here, but that's nothing compared with heating.

I have gas (real gas CH4, not petrol C8H18) but a lot of people use electric for these two, and they still only need 80 amps.

Why do you use more water than me?

Negligible current.

They're present in any country.

all

Not that much it doesn't. And we have all those aswell. 80 amps is just fine. Do you know hat the max you have ever used at once is?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A very religious man lived right next door to an atheist. While the religious
one prayed day in, day out, and was constantly on his knees in communion with
his Lord, the atheist never even looked twice at a church.
However, the atheist\'s life was good, he had a well-paying job and a beautiful
wife, and his children were healthy and good-natured, whereas the pious man\'s
job was strenuous and his wages were low, his wife was getting fatter every day
and his kids wouldn\'t give him the time of the day.
So one day, deep in prayer as usual, he raised his eyes towards heaven and
asked: "Oh God, I honor you every day, I ask your advice for every problem and
confess to you my every sin. Yet my neighbour, who doesn\'t even believe in you
and certainly never prays, seems blessed with every happiness, while I go poor
and suffer many an indignity. Why is this?"
And a great voice was heard from above: "BECAUSE HE DOESN\'T BOTHER ME ALL THE
TIME!"
Reply to
Peter Hucker

protecting it is safe.

something behind a TV set, etc) it could get too warm.

Its against the code to coil up extra wire.

replying window which had already removed your sig.

if we have electric heating (which most of us don't as gas is far cheaper) it ain't all used.

even for people that don't, they'll be going to at least half full revs. I can't see anyone using even half of that power in a house.

I wouldn't need 200 Amps if I had everything running at once. I would have a hard time hitting 125 amps if I turned on the heat and the AC at the same time. The fact is that our electric service is installed to meet expected loads along with a reserve rating, for future needs. Most people never need the extra capacity, but it is a big selling point when you sell a house. If the service is outdated it will lower the price, or even cause people to walk away from the deal.

You think that using 600 KWh in 30 days is excessive? That is only

20 KWh per day, or less than one KW per hour. What is your monthly use in KWh?
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

protecting it is safe.

something behind a TV set, etc) it could get too warm.

And of course everyone obeys that. You cannot assume Mr A. N. Other will follow the rules.

replying window which had already removed your sig.

even if we have electric heating (which most of us don't as gas is far cheaper) it ain't all used.

even for people that don't, they'll be going to at least half full revs. I can't see anyone using even half of that power in a house.

Yes I agree a larger capacity would sell the house better, but 200 seems a little excessive. Do people not try to conserve energy over there? I think I pay about 7p (about 12 cents) per kWh, what is your rate?

50 quid, which must be about 714 kWh - about the same as you. That's with flourescent lighting (when they break they're getting changed to LEDs!) and no electric heating. Where the hell is it going? Mind you I have 14 parrots and use the vacuum and steam cleaner an awful lot.
--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why do sailors have tattoos on their backs?
So their shipmates will have something to read.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

as 5 amp wire....

--
The amount of current a wire can "handle" is based on its
temperature rise and that, in turn varies with its cross-sectional

Mind you I have 14 parrots and use the vacuum and steam cleaner an awful lot.

--
Doesn\'t the steam take the color out of their feathers?
Reply to

follow the rules.

Well, if they don't, and they cause a fire their insurance doesn't have to pay the claim. After all, the NEC is written by the insurance comapines.

little excessive. Do people not try to conserve energy over there? I think I pay about 7p (about 12 cents) per kWh, what is your rate?

The number of breakers allowed is determined by the total capacity of the service, so a 200 amp service allows you to provide more individual circuits. Its all there, in the NEC. A house with no empty spaces in the breaker box is a sign that you may have to rewire the house while you own it, and it isn't cheap.

As far as conserving energy, I try, but I repair donated computers to give to disabled Veterans who can't afford a computer and it adds to my bill. The current rate is 4.813 cents per KWH for the first 1000 KWh and 5.813 cents per KWH above 1000 KWH. Then they add a 3.918 cent per KWH fuel charge that almost doubles my bill.

flourescent lighting (when they break they're getting changed to LEDs!) and no electric heating. Where the hell is it going? Mind you I have 14 parrots and use the vacuum and steam cleaner an awful lot.

Like I said above, I repair computers, and have anywhere from one to five on at a time. I also have two refrigerators because I only go to the grocery store a couple times a month, and buy most food in bulk. So, I use a little more electricity, but a lot less gasoline.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
What do you think I do with it?
Reply to

follow the rules.

Can you tell that much after a fire has burnt everything?

little excessive. Do people not try to conserve energy over there? I think I pay about 7p (about 12 cents) per kWh, what is your rate?

Er.... surely you can change 3 40 amp breakers to 4 30 amp breakers? (Simple figures used for er... simplicity).

That's a lot cheaper than here. Ours is (checks bill - OUCH!) 22.07 cents for the first 225kWh and 14.24 cents thereafter. What's your gas prices like? (What do you call gas if you call petrol gas?) Here it's 4.38 cents for the first 1143kWh, and 3.01 cents thereafter. I wish PCs ran on gas.

Christ almighty..... glad you brought this up, I'm now switching provider and saving 25% :-))))

What is this? Why do they charge twice?

flourescent lighting (when they break they're getting changed to LEDs!) and no electric heating. Where the hell is it going? Mind you I have 14 parrots and use the vacuum and steam cleaner an awful lot.

I have two of my own running 24/7. I stopped using those distributed computing things as they consume major amounts of electricity.

I'd love to do that (although the supermarket is only 5 mins drive away), but surely a lot of things like milk and cheese go off?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

When working with electronics, my best advice is to do whatever it takes to
prevent the smoke from leaking out of the components.  Electronic parts require
the smoke to stay inside to function correctly!
Reply to
Peter Hucker

as 5 amp wire....

A 120C wire is not a good idea.

FFS. I'll rephrase. What do you do with all that water?

It all

fine.

It's good enough for everyone in the UK. I find it hard to beleive Americans use more electricity.

You should really cut back on the insults, you're providing more evidence for my argument in the other subthread.

My point is you won't.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

            _..._
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_____|
          / _____ \\
          ||  \'  ||
          ||  |  ||
          ||- | -||)
          ||   \\ ||
          ||__.__||
          \\_______/
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_____|
           |_   _|
             ```
Reply to
Peter Hucker

follow the rules.

There is usually enough evidence for the fire inspectors to pinpoint the cause of a fire, unless a lot of accelerants are used in arson cases.

little excessive. Do people not try to conserve energy over there? I think I pay about 7p (about 12 cents) per kWh, what is your rate?

figures used for er... simplicity).

No, it can't be done because all high current items are on separate breakers rated for each load, and lower current circuits for lighting and wall outlets are broken into small groups so that if you trip a breaker you don't lose all the lights. Like I've said before, you have to read and understand the NEC to see how the system works.

the first 225kWh and 14.24 cents thereafter.

Here it's 4.38 cents for the first 1143kWh, and 3.01 cents thereafter. I wish PCs ran on gas.

saving 25% :-))))

Its called a fuel surcharge that they are allowed to collect anything over the price fuel was the last time the rates were set. In other words, if they pay more for the fuel to run the plant, the extra cost is passed on.

flourescent lighting (when they break they're getting changed to LEDs!) and no electric heating. Where the hell is it going? Mind you I have 14 parrots and use the vacuum and steam cleaner an awful lot.

computing things as they consume major amounts of electricity.

surely a lot of things like milk and cheese go off?

prevent the smoke from leaking out of the components. Electronic parts require the smoke to stay inside to function correctly!

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

follow the rules.

little excessive. Do people not try to conserve energy over there? I think I pay about 7p (about 12 cents) per kWh, what is your rate?

figures used for er... simplicity).

Hmmmm. Taking this house as an example, I've got:

30 amp x2 for outlets. 5 amp x2 for lights. 15 amp for the water heater. 15 amp for the garage. 15 amp for the shower. 1 spare slot.

Total is currently at 80 amps. The electricity boards fuse is also 80 amps. I can do what the hell I like in MY fusebox (it's none of their business), but I'm not allowed to fiddle with the meter (they really don't like people getting free power) or the 80 amp fuse which is on their side of the meter. If I added loads more circuits, it's no problem, but if I go over 80 amps at any time and blow their fuse, they would charge me to come out and replace it.

for the first 225kWh and 14.24 cents thereafter.

Here it's 4.38 cents for the first 1143kWh, and 3.01 cents thereafter. I wish PCs ran on gas.

saving 25% :-))))

It doesn't make sense to me. Why not charge the correct price in the first place? Our companies simply change the rates every so often.

prevent the smoke from leaking out of the components. Electronic parts require the smoke to stay inside to function correctly!

Now how did that get in there? Damn random sig generator is not random me thinks.....

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

This fellow comes into a pharmacy and asks for a vial of cyanide.  The
pharmacist, trying to keep a professional posture, asked what he wanted it for.
The fellow said, "I want to kill my wife."
"I\'m sorry Sir," the pharmacist replied, "but you will have to understand under
such circumstances I can\'t sell you any cyanide."
The guy reaches into his wallet and produces a photo of his wife, then shows it
to the pharmacist.
The pharmacist blushes and replies, "I am sorry, sir, I didn\'t realize you had a
prescription."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

I have no idea, which is why I asked.

use more electricity.

That doesn't use much.

Than ME. But the 80 amps is the same for houses here with electric heating.

my argument in the other subthread.

Two in one sentence, you're getting worse.

Electricity usage will not increase dramatically. Things become more efficient. People become more environmentally conscious.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the
photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from
the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head
her husband parted his hair on.
"I forgot," she said. "But you can see that for yourself when you take off his
hat."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

You must have _some_ idea. That is, I'm almost sure you use hot water for the same things I do; bathing and washing clothes and dishes. May be I have more clothing and bathe more often?

--
>> ---
>> What do you think I do with it?
>
>I have no idea, which is why I asked.

>>> It\'s good enough for everyone in the UK.  I find it hard to beleive
Americans use more electricity.

>> ---
>> You just posted that you don\'t have air conditioning
>
>That doesn\'t use much.
Reply to
John Fields

--
More or less.  Go to abse and download "starkist.au"
Reply to

Myself, I never actually heat water, but that's besides the point. I know noone here (except one) who has more than a standard water tank (about 3ft high and

2ft wide). The exception is someone who uses the tanks to heat the house - he has a very unusual system, he gets very very cheap electricity to heat them, switched on remotely by radio by the generating board when there is surplus power.

Americans use more electricity.

I take it that's an American phrase for "incorrect"?

That may be possible. The one good thing about America is the space. How come your poulation has not grown to overfill it like the rest of us? Maybe Durex is cheaper over there ;-)

It's just a big refridgerator. I'm assuming cooling the house by 10 degrees costs less than heating it by 10 degrees.

You don't need to be efficient with 200 amps.

So, how many amps does your airconditioner use?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

My penis is 12 inches long, but I don\'t use it as a rule.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

--
I watch what I please and if I don\'t like it I mute it.  Simple.
Reply to

--
Yes, dumbass, because I liked it.
Reply to