Logical extension of audiophool

Well, I've been spending a little time at

and

I propose the next phase -- the videophool. Some of those guys know what they're talking about but there are some.... $100 DVI cable from Monster. I bet those 1.414s an 0s make a better picture. I guess I should be ashamed of my $10 eBay DVI cable since it only transfers 1s and 0s. Of course, now that it is properly 'seasoned' for a year... It connects my Samsung DLP HDTV to the PC HDTV recorder using ATI tuner and video board.

Since you guys actually DO know what you're doing, I have a question. Aspect ratio is the horizontal to vertical size ratio. So far, so good. When remapping into a different size screen you have 3 options. Discard H material, discard V material or geometrically distort the image such that a circle is no longer a circle. What would the term be for the distorted image?

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

stretch

Reply to
Andrew

Oxygen-free airwaves?

There is a fourth option; "pan and scan" where the 4:3 image of interest is shifted on the 9:5 image. This is done at the source though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Marketing.

Regards Ian

;-)

Reply to
Ian

"Distorted image."

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Glenn Gundlach scrobe on the papyrus:

. .

. .

That distortion is known as 'anamorphic'. It is how Cinemascope pictures with an aspect ratio of 2.66:1 were fitted onto standard 35mm film. Have a look at:

John B