Use of Extension Cord

See I told you having both voltages could cause them to get mixed up ;-)

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

  _
|_t+.__________________......_  /;_
;________________/     :    \\ t""o.\\__
:---|------------------t-----^-`--\'  /
  \\__L___________________\\____________\\
               ""-. o .--. \\--\'/  l  .-t+.
                   \\ (   l) ;""   : /
                    l `--" o;      Y
                     """""";:  .-. :\\
                           ::  \'-\'  ;\\
                            ;;      : ;
                            ::       ;|
                            ;\'-------\';
                            \'"------"
Reply to
Peter Hucker

electricity,

precise. And they vary vastly from place to place.

You don't appear to be able to distinguish between an error and an imperfectly correct term.

http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why do sailors have tattoos on their backs?
So their shipmates will have something to read.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

imperfectly correct term.

--
A ferroenquinologist who\'d cut you no slack?
Reply to

earlier you compared it to a "13A monster" as though the 13A one was overkill?

I've seen extensions on a reel (like a hosepipe) which have two current ratings: one for extended, and one for rolled up.

Which is presumably why they rate them lower than they can handle (your #18 will take 15 amps but not when colied, which they maybe assume you might).

call it (or even if the US and the UK use the same system), but if I use one with 13 amps going through it, it doesn't get the slightest bit warm.

7.5mm overall diameter. Not exactly unweildy.

anymore)

I dunno if it's illegal to have anything else - I don't pay attention to laws much! But they don't sell them. They come in any length. Common lengths are anything from 1 to 10 metres. Longer ones on reels usually for gardens.

or dead pets.

Yes, the MONEY. But not the inconvenience. Are you saying you wouldn't care if your house burnt down?

"If all else fails and it seems tempting to read the instructions, don't panic. Get a bigger hammer".

Reading the instructions is admitting defeat. You should be able to work out how to use something for yourself. Instructions are for women.

cable in the walls than we do at 240 volts.

As I wrote elsewhere, we have two 30A 240V circuits for outlets. Two 5A 240V circuits for lighting. 30A 240V for cooker, 15A 240V for water heater, etc.

outlets do exist in US homes?

volt?

Can you plug one plug into the other type?

Oh, similar to German ones? What's the prong for then?

Yes we can get those plastic safety covers too. But they are hassle to put in. And no I don't think it's thatlikely for a kid to stick something in the earth then the live. Plus, the shutters mean spilling water onto a socket ain't quite so dangerous!

blown the thing up.

You are assuming a mechanical timer? For a £300 coffee maker, I would imagine it's electronic.

You said "psychologically".

Lawyers should be illegal. Yes laws can be useful, but lawyers? No.

It wouldn't tempt them to actually do it though, would it? It's like asking someone would you rather swim with a big alligator or a little one!

240 volts. The insulator thickness is probably a minimum reuqired to stop it being damaged through handling. Look how flimsy an IDE ribbon cable is. That's rated at 300 volts.

You're missing the point. The IDE cable can take 300 volts, with very thin insulation. The much thicker mains cord insulation is therefore not that thick for insulation purposes, but to make it tougher.

camera detectors!

Yes, I'm subscribed to them. Very amusing.

would cause me to misplace my fingers.

Wasn't my fault. Shoddy appliances.

between the lines, etc. Don't take every word at dictionary meaning.

I didn't get anything techniocal wrong, I just used a word a little loosely.

100% logical, so I don't expect to have to use precision words - this is not Germany.

Nope, they are robots. Ever spoken to one?

It ain't a test, but a simple question. I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

For changing the subject? Life would be pretty dull if the subject never changed.

Nop, merely having a conversation.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

I\'ve never had a problem with drugs,
I\'ve had problems with the police. - Keith Richards
Reply to
Peter Hucker

in the plug and in the strip (they all do, or they're illegal). For a quid extra I can get one with basic surge suppression.

abuse by overload."

Oh so sorry for not sticking precisely to what he asked. Conversations are allowed, this is not simply a question and answer forum. You need to go find a moderated forum with some power hungry admin in charge.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Auctioneer, n. The man who proclaims with a hammer that he has picked a pocket
with his tongue.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

I know. It was a crappy attempt at a joke.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

If colouring wasn\'t added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

in the plug and in the strip (they all do, or they're illegal). For a quid extra I can get one with basic surge suppression.

abuse by overload."

--
If you\'d offered help which wasn\'t precisely aligned with the
request for help, but which was, nonetheless, an attempt to help,

However, all you were doing was saying "I\'m better than you are
because I\'m British, and our electrical outlets are better than
yours are because ours are British, and our extension cords are
better than yours are because they\'re British, and on and on, ad
nauseam.
Reply to
John Fields

imperfectly correct term.

You remind me of a trainspotter I once knew.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Girls....
If you want to piss off your mother, here\'s what I suggest.
The next time you\'re out driving around, and your mum\'s in the car, stop in
front of the local strip club.
Put the car in park, turn to your mother, and say, "I\'ll be right back.  I just
have to run in and pick up my cheque."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

imperfectly correct term.

Stop showing off. That word is not in dictionary.com or wikipedia.

.--. .-""-. |,=._\\..-"""""-.' -. | \\.-' .---.---. ';./ .' //o\\ /o\\\\ '. / \\'-'__ '-'/ \\ | / (__) \\ | \\ | ( | / '. \\_-.__.-_/ _.-' "--.__'.__.'__..-"; / '----' , '. .-"" ( _..-"` \\ .---/ _\\----(_ _.;. '--(_(_(_\\--. .--/ .-"-' ,`| - ' | | | \\_\\_\\_/ / / ' _\\ .-| |_ __ /=' ' .' `. | | ./` `\\ .' . | ooo___| |_|_ooo .-' \\ (_'---. .---'_) / ' '.__.' | | '.___.' ' . ' | | ' ' ' | | ' \\| === ' . |_|-. . \\|

Reply to
Peter Hucker

abuse by overload."

No, I was discussing the differences. The Americans may be egotistical but the Brits are not. I have pointed out reasons why our system is better than yours, and you have pointed out reasons why yours is better than ours. You guys look after the volts and we look after the amps, neither system is perfectly safe.

Why do you assume everyone is having a go at you? Did you have a disturbed childhood?

Where only perfectly on topic discussions can take place, which is whatyou appear to be after.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

"So it was the first fuckin\' leave in six fuckin\' months.  I dropped off my
fuckin\' uniform at the fuckin\' Y, went to a fuckin\' bar, and picked up a fuckin\'
broad.  I took her to a fuckin\' hotel, laid her out on the fuckin\' bed, and had
sexual intercourse."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

--
Awww... Poor baby can\'t find the word so I must be showing off.

Google around for a while and maybe you\'ll find it.  Or maybe not.

Anyway, I\'ll do what I damn well please, and if you don\'t like it
you can kiss my ass.
Reply to
John Fields

An iron horse's ass? (that is ferroequinologist, btw)

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret
analogies that unite them.
- Joseph Fourier
Reply to
Bob Monsen

--
More like "student of the iron horse", I think.

I found it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_spotting

and yes, that extra \'n\' was a trypo.
Thanks for the correction. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

--
You\'re a liar.  What you\'ve been, from the outset, is critical of
our system without even understanding how it works.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:48:08 -0000, via , "Peter Hucker" spake thusly:

Or perhaps you just showed your inability to use and understand a dictionary. Try again.

Reply to
Big Mouth Billy Bass

You can be a silly smart ass if you like. I'll just laugh at you.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

           __________
        .\'\' _______  \'\'.
      .\' .\'\'      / ,\'. \'.
    .\' .\' )      / /   \'. \'.
   | .\' )(      / /      \'. |
  |  | (  _____/ /____    |  |
  ( (    #____/ /__)__)    ) )
  |  |       / /          |  |
   | \'.     / /          .\' |
    \'. \'.  / /         .\' .\'
      \'. \'\' /_______..\' .\'
        \'..__________..\'
Reply to
Peter Hucker

--- Well, perhaps you should. Here's one from some of your boys:

The Animals

DON'T LET ME BE MISUNDERSTOOD (Benjamin/Marcus/Caldwell)

Baby, do you understand me now Sometimes I feel a little mad Well don't you know that no-one alive Can always be an angel When things go wrong I seem to be bad

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Baby, sometimes I'm so carefree With a joy that's hard to hide And sometimes it seems that All I have to do is worry And then you're bound to see my other side

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

If I seem edgy, I want you to know That I never mean to take it out on you Life has it's problems and I get my share And that's one thing I never mean to do

'cause I love you Oh, oh, oh, baby, don't you know I'm human Have thoughts like any other one Sometimes I find myself alone and regretting Some foolish thing, some little simple thing I've done

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Yes, I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Yes, I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Yes, I'm just a soul who's intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
You\'ve merely stated what your _opinion_ is.  You know nothing about
the technical details of either system and are, therefore,

As a matter of fact I don\'t even know what you\'re doing here other
than flapping your jaws, since I\'ve checked out some of your posting
history and you seem to be little more than a wannabe jester.

Trolling, perhaps?
Reply to
John Fields

Or perhaps I don't give a shit about precision meanings.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

All this "expressionism" in art, personally I think things ought to look like
things. To me it\'s fairly easy to
tell what the artists are trying to say with their smears and swirls -- they\'re
trying to say they can\'t paint worth a damn.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

I've pointed out what's wrong with it, and you have not proved otherwise. You have however pointed out what's wrong with ours.

It wasn't a joke.

Yes they should both be considered, but your system doesn't. Your system has a blatant disregard for overload protection.

You assume I am having a go at you for some reason.

charge.

appear to be after.

I AM discussing the issues.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.
Reply to
Peter Hucker