extension cord questions

Greetings All, Let's say I have two extension cords, both 50 feet long. I need to use both to reach a device that is 90 feet away from the receptacle. One is 12 gauge and the other is 14 gauge. Looking in the book I find the voltage drop for each cord and add them together. The total voltage drop at the required amperage is acceptable for the device plugged into the cords. Two questions: Does it matter which cord is plugged into the power source? And is my assumption correct about adding the voltage drops? Thank You, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

No and yes.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Reply to
sanjeevdevasthali

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:51:57 -0700, in message , Eric R Snow scribed:

I'm agreeing with the other posters, and noting out that this is one of many points where a common analogy - comparing electricity to water flow and pressure - breaks down.

I also want to caution that you should look at peak current as well as continuous current before you connect your hundred foot cable. Is the device you wish to use one that requires a high starting current, for instance an air compressor? In that case, the voltage drop in the cable with the inrush current might well be high enough to prevent proper operation.

Reply to
Alan B

Thanks for all the responses folks. It's nice to know I was thinking about this correctly. And the device is a battery charger this time so a high current inrush won't be a problem now. I do know about motors drawing many more amps when starting than running and always size wiring for them that takes this into account. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow