What is the use of MAX7128?

Hi, there:

I saw some boards with a EPM7128SLC84...which I found can only implement a simple 8-bit multiplier... For example,

Is there any market for such tiny FPGA chips? What are they?

Kelvin

Reply to
Kelvin

The salient feature in non-volatility not capacity. Some logic has to work immediately at powerup. Maybe some glue to boot a cpu or to control the loading of fpgas.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Well, #1 is that it's a CPLD. #2 is that a 128-macrocell CPLD was certainly sufficient for me to use as the controller for a audio digital delay. I2S in, I2S out, SRAM controller, digital input level meter, the works.

Not every design needs that multi-million-gate thousand-ball thousand-dollar FPGA, ya know. Betcha that brands A, L and X sell more of the small/midsize CPLDs than they do of the super-big/super-fast devices.

-a-

Reply to
Andy Peters

anyway, some chinese laboratories are selling EPM7128SLC84 boards for

50US$...targetting the college students there...It looks impressive but I don't know how it competes with other board...

Kelvin

kelvin8157