Use of Extension Cord

kids in jail. And also 6 year old kids don't know right from wrong.

defeat the purpose of having an easily accessible emergency cutoff).

Uzi? A baseball bat is more than enough to take care of some punk, and I can take care of most of them with nothing more than my cane. I scared the shit out of a punk who was threatening me when I showed him my nice new "bank blade" Think of a machete with a four foot handle. I cut a four inch thick branch out of a willow tree with one swing.

If I wanted a gun I would prefer to use my favorite military weapon, the M-72 so I can lay down the LAW. ;-) Its too bad you can't get them outside of the military.

You have that backwards. :(

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You want MS to control the government?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosyllabic"?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

ones? All UK extension cords are rated at 13 amps (for 3kW devices) and have a

13 amp fuse in the plug so you cannot overload them. I assume in the US this would be 26 amps (ouch! THICK wire!).

one purpose for the rest of its life. They get moved around. You cannot predict what you will want to plug into it in the future. And they are so cheap you may aswell get the 13 amp ones.

plug something else in next to the lamp? Do you never move anything around in your house?

for a ONE amp bulb?!?!?

that's what the fuse is for. The fuse in the equipment's plug stops its cable catching fire. To put a fuse of the full capacity of the wall outlet off in the fusebox is stupid, because you will most likely plug a device into that outlet with a low power consumption and a thin cord, which is now not protected.

fusebox, and people who are obsessed with safety, I just have fuses.

overload is. It breaks at the rating of the outlet, not the appliance and it's cord.

there by plugging the appliance in without an extension. The 13A fuse in the extension cord stops you plugging two 13A appliances into the end of it and melting the extension cord.

conditions, or policies in my life. I have more important and/or more interesting things to do with my time!

people who don't have a clue how something works.

here.

see above.

the same, I can plug anything into any socket.

here when you go back to the US? I thought you were 110V only.

the US? And I thought you chose 110 volts for SAFETY......

house and I haven't changed them. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether the extension cord is fused or not. If I removed the extension cord fuse, I would be no more likely to survive.

cord".

it ain't as dangerous as you make out anyway.

pansy 110), and I'm still alive.

electrocution occur due to >secondary accidents.

it wouldn't be called murder.

May I ask a question here? The British fused plugs, are these the 2 cylindrical prongs about 1 inch apart with a ground tab? I've never been to England to see what is really used but is the point of that tab to be a safety ground? The plugs I've seen on equipment from the UK don't connect the ground first but last. Or is it NOT for safety purposes? American 3 wire connectors have a safety ground that connects before the power and neutral get connected.

So far I have seen nothing about GFI outlets. Are those used in the UK like in the US? Even old houses require retrofit to GFIs in the kitchens and bathrooms when the house gets sold ( at least in California ). Supposedly you can toss a lamp on a GFI circuit into the bathtub and not kill the bather though I must cofess to being chicken to give it an actual test. Anyway, carry on the debate.

Glenn Gundlach

Reply to
stratus46

No, but it looks like its already too late. They already have too much influence with the governments of too many countries.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
So because you\'re not calling yourself a fucking wanker you\'re not
getting beat up?  LOL, you\'re even stupider than I thought, and I

I think you're referring to the German ones. From what I can remember the plugs have two round pins, and the socket has an earth pin (which I believe is a little longer so contacts first).

You can put a German plug in a UK socket by inserting a screwdriver in the earth first! (The screwdriver is referred to as the "adapter")

UK plugs have square pins - all plugs have three pins, and the earth is longer to connect first (and also to open the safety shutters in the socket covering live and neutral).

I presume GFI is similar to RCD? RCD shuts off power if there is greater than

30mA difference between live and neutral currents (i.e. 30mA is flowing through you to ground. They're in all new houses (probably by law), but there is no law to say old houses must have them, even when sold. It's up to the owner if they want to make the house safer. The outlets look the same, all that's done is to swap the fusebox for a breaker box.

Not a nice way to be discovered after death either!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the fuck happened.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

heat for an AC to work, you just MOVE the heat.

As a heater it's close to 100 percent efficient, (some of it's output is noise, wind, vibration etc) but there's most of the energy that goes into it is converted to heat.

On top of that heat there's also all the heat that's being transported by it. so that's how heating efficiencies in excess of 100% are achieved.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:45:59 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote nothing worth responding to.

Goodbye.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Stop your pedantic precision, you just look silly.

can I?\\

You can't. You are a wanna-be psychiatrist.

Upgrade your couch.

gone.

I suppose you can find freaks like you somewhere if you look hard enough.

Neither. You were being American. I only speak English.

Oh and when some maniac points a gun at you and you point one back, you're sure that you will win are you? You're still living in the days of the wild west. Try growing up a little.

I never said you should feel guilty for other Americans being lunatics. Why do you keep reading things into what I say?

But how many innocent people will they kill before they get killed themselves?

heat for an AC to work, you just MOVE the heat.

You're not understanding AC at all here. If (using arbitrary figures) you need to put in 1 kWh of energy into some water to heat it up, you also need to MOVE 1 kWh of energy out of the water to cool it back down. BUT, the energy used from the mains supply can be more OR less than the amount of heat moved, depending on how efficient the AC is. You are NOT creating that 1 kWh that is moving. You are taking it from the water and putting it outside, the energy consumed from the electricity supply is for the heat pump ONLY. In fact if you look at the SEER figures, you'll find that less than 1 kWh of electricity is required to move 1 kWh out of the water. You haven't created energy out of nothing. You've moved 1 kWh from the water to the air, and moved say 0.5 kWh from the electricity supply to the air. So it costs you half as much to cool the water as to heat it.

Your extra vocabulary mkes you look like a smartarse.

The Americans complain more than we do about something which is less expensive. Don't you have something better to do with your lives? Moaning at a politician won't achieve much, they'll just carry on doing what they're doing. Sure you can vote the bastards out, but there aren't that many choices so you'll never get a decent lot in.

ROFL! Or rush to the shops cause your clothes don't match. [rolls eyes]

You were complaining about my incorrect grammar. Fair enough if I said something ambiguous, but that could not have been taken any other way. By the way that pun sucked.

My average interest rate is about 6%. Monthly payments are whatever I can afford.

No, the % value is yearly, but charged each month.

After reading some bumph from my new electricity company, it seems we have more competition than I thought. I pay money to company A, company A buys electricity from companies B C and D who run coal, nuclear, hydro, etc generators, all the power goes through the same cabling which is run by company E. I get to choose which of the 30 company As I use. And A gets to choose companies B C and D to get me the cheapest power so I don't go to another A.

some good.

Yes she's ugly as hell, but that is nothing to do with why I hate her. It's her extreme right wing attitude. If she had remained in power, we would probably have gone too far the other way. She would have removed all the social security stuff for example.

love to have them all assassinated, but they aren't in power.

The past is the past, now their only use is attracting tourists.

I told you I couldn't be bothered.

I also told you in the last post that I'd look when it wasn't the middle of the night.

Without tampering with the electricity board's protection fuse, I can only see the outer sheath. It's 14mm diameter (which contains live and neutral I think, as it goes into the main fuse carrier, then two wires come out to my meter then inside the house to the main distribution box). By the way it's 100A, not 80 as I've seen in every other house.

They're certain unless you break the law :-)

If it's 1% more efficient, then who cares? If it's 20% more efficient, then there's a big wastage over here, and something worth talking about.

I meant it's close by, hence a short length of wire to loose heat in.

I presume it's overground for access reasons.

You know perfectly well what I meant. How much electricity is coming into your house at this precise moment?

etc.

impending doom.

You said 100 up there.

But we don't want to be just alive. We want to watch telly. We want to eat cooked food. And so forth.

Those figures are probably about 50 messages further up, I can't be bothered hunting them down. Just get to your point.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Translation:

I proved you wrong, so you ran away.