why does this newsgroup have beasts

I'm manic depressive: manic most of the time - lots of fun, actually - and I get occasional deep, chemical depressions: chills, gloom, lislessness, irritability. I recognize it, my wife recognizes it, so we treat it as if it were a cold or a sprained ankle or something, just a nuisance that will pass in a few days. Just keep the lizard on the leash.

But the immediate problem is that I just did a batch of Bananas Foster for dessert. I mixed up way too much of the rum+banana liqueur mixture and almost flambe'd the whole family, Uncle Billy and his filipino wife included. So the leftover mixture is sitting here next to the piece-o-crap Dell in a beaker, and you can't throw away good rum even if there Creme de Banan in it. Weird drink, I tell ya.

Am I still making sense?

John

I'm not lazy when I've got a short term goal to attend to, and the only other occasion when I found it difficult to work on a long term project was for a few months after my fathr had died. I'm certainly not clinically depressed, since I feel no need to talk to a doctor about it, and I don't suffer from periods of intense gloom, nor do I burst out in floods of tears from time to time, but I do say "but I can't be bothered" more often than I should, and more often than I used to.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

--
If you have to ask... ;)
Reply to

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

Drink it very slo-o-owly... a sip a day will probably do, otherwise BARF!

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

More than Rich ever does. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Too late!

John

Do you get out and walk around? Exercize is good for the endorphins or whatever. Engineering (or not engineering?) is too damned sedentary. I have to force myself to get exercize (which I loathe) just to keep my brain tuned up.

John

The rum+banana liqueur mix, too much of it, was in the beaker, warmed up in the microwave to increase flammability. I poured about a third into the skillet with the carmelized bananas and set it alight, which (oops) lit the stuff in the beaker, too. Two fires are now out of control, and the vanilla ice cream is melting in the little ramekins [1] so I abandon the beaker to Mo to extinguish somehow (and she's panicked about that) whilst I spoon the bananas+flaming sauce into everybody's individual ramekins[1]. After that, I need a drink.[2]

John

[1] I just love that word, ramekin. [2] Anybody want the recipe?

John

^^^

Acck! Please don't you start doing that, too. I always read that as "plus Ve".

John

Any chef worth his salt knows... with a long-handled spoon draw a small amount of the flammable stuff aside, light it with a lighter/match, and then spoon into the skillet ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Lessee - too much rum in the flaming bananas; put out fire; decant excess rum to beaker, feed rels, recycle rum? ;-)

Makes sense to me!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
Not me, thanks.  I already hava a whole bunch of ramekins.
Reply to

Apparently it also helps with depression. There's some kind of +ve feedback loop also with disruption of sleep patterns. Basically, as I understand it, if you force your body to be physically active and to do the kind of things you'd do if you were not depressed then the depression tends to go away. Of course drugs can be very helpful too. Beyond the really extreme suicidal behavior, signs of depression include sleeping too much or too little, gaining or losing weight, memory problems, and a lack of interest or joy in doing things that used to bring you happiness.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I go to field hockey practice every Monday night, and walk to my piano lesson and back on Tuesday afternoons, and cycle downtown to do the small-shop shopping on Saturday mornings.

If I took my youngest brother's advice I'd do half an hour's brisk walk every day, but it bores me silly. I don't mind walking to get somewhere, and happily walk in to the university when I need to do anything there - and that is half an hour each way - but I can't be bothered walking if I'm not walking to some purpose.

Exercise does improve my spirits, but not all that much.

I'll get in some walking on Sunday - around Dusseldorf Airport, and later on in Dubai, getting to the Airbus to Melbourne - but nowhere near enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

It's British for "positive."

John

Did you get a visa for the UAE, or are you just visiting their fine airport?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What's wrong with + and - ?

Even shorter, and doesn't sound like a power rail.

John

It's surprising how much good just walking can do. I was without a car for awhile so I had to walk everywhere. Life sucks without a car. Well, I found myself getting winded just going to the corner store and back. Until a few weeks later, (walking pretty much every day) I noticed, I wasn't getting winded any more!

Now, with the car I _do_ have, I get upper body exercise from the manual steering. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So did I. What's it supposed to be?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I like what Becker (a character on the TV show, "Becker") says about running the marathon: "I can't understand why anybody'd want to run when nobody's chasing them." He also mentioned what a disappointment the NY marathon is: "It looks like twenty thousand idiots are leaving town, but they get half way to Boston and turn around and come back."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise