Fixed Point: cut, round, saturation?

Hi all,

I used to read FIR filter RTL implementation. I found they use a lot of cut(i.e. delete several LSB bits) , round(i.e. delete several LSB bits), and saturate to protect the data overflow.

I found they like to cut and saturate in the middle of the data path. And round at the end of the data path.

Is there any book talk about Fixed Point operation? And is there any design tools?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Best regards, Davy

Reply to
Davy

that's noise shaping, i believe.

there should be. O&S has some theoretical analysis stuff.

Randy Yates has a web page someone. i'm sure he'll be coming along soon. i don't know where it is and am too lazy to Google for it. (try it yourself.)

i thought there were. MATLAB?

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

You can try Numerical Methods by Morgan. Some dont like his approach. Or the TI site has lots of app notes related to their fixed point processors.

Cheer

Reply to
Martin Riddle

It doesn't seem like we have enough information to conclude this, Robert.

???

I'm not sure you're answering the question he's asking.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980\'s, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"