Have you seen this switch?

I'm going to do my best to describe the switch I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a knob or dial that acts like two momentary pushbuttons. Throws one momentary push button when you spin it clockwise every degrees and throws the other when you spin it counter-clockwise every degrees. The knob should have no stops.

The application is to interface with a micro and a digipot for volum control of a homemade preamplifier. Imagine an AV receiver (without motorized pot) you've seen and how you can adjust the volume with the kno on the front or a remote control. This is for that knob on the front.

Didn't think it would be hard to find but perhaps I just don't know wha to search for! What's this thing I'm describing called and where can get one?

Reply to
Joel

Smmething like this?

Dave

These applications do not (as far as I have EVER seen) use a switch of the type you describe. They use a quadrature encoder, either mechanical or optical. The encoder is a three-pin device; one common, two outputs. Typically you'd wire the two outputs to pins of a micro, with pullups, and the common pin goes to ground. As you spin the knob, the two outputs produce a square wave 90 degrees out of phase. If A is

90 degrees ahead of B, you're spinning in one direction; if A is 90 degrees behind B, you're spinning in the other direction.

It's not the right shape for your application, but a switch I have used that you can view as a reference for the general part family is Panasonic's EVQ-WK. (This is a thumbwheel type switch with clicker function, as used on camcorders etc).

Reply to
larwe

donald

pushbuttons.

That sounds great. I've got some more words to search with. Thank you.

Reply to
Joel

Just what I need -- detented even for that incremental volume feel. Should turn out very nicely. Thank you for the lead!

Reply to
Joel