Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

As well as a supplied ground connection.

Reply to
Ricky

Most of us keep the door to the circuit panel closed, so nothing will impact the breakers, even if it is moving upward.

Reply to
Ricky

Larkin is a well known twit. So a perfect match to be arguing BS with Commander Kinky.

Reply to
Ricky

That's for sure. In fact it's lifting the arm off of its support that turns the steel turntable on. Arm weighs maybe 1/2 to 3/4 pound? Just guessing, but it's steel too.

Not like you to think you know more about my phonograph than I do.

Mine has no output jacks or cords. Just a small nice wooden cabinet with no holes, no jacks, maybe one 12" wire as a transmitting antenna (I have to go look again. Not sure if there's a wire.)

Maybe 14 or 16" square and 5" high.

It might be from the 30's after my mother got married in 1929.

I have been lucky enough that there was no strong station at the frequency. I left a note inside so I or the next owner doesn't have to hunt for it.

Reply to
micky

Why bother with the cap? Just connect all neutrals and the stage together and to ground. In my house neutral and ground are identical anyway, there's only a two core cable supplying the house. Earths and neutrals from all sockets go to the 0V wire, all lives go the 240V wire. Simple.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I doubt that's ever happened. Something falls precisely against it and it happens to be off?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then why do I remember seeing a blue light?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do you misuse the word code? A code is some kind of encryption. You mean regulation. If Americans are to integrate with society, they need to learn to speak English correctly.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And not stalled. Essentially a stalled motor is a damn great inductor.

One of these...

The Natural Philosopher

Ok, that's way more sophisticated, and more modern. I've never seen one like that.

The transmitter should be tunable.

Carlos E.R.

Carlos E.R.

Mine was externally plastic, and had a gearbox. I could choose gear, but each one turned in reverse direction to the next. Also had an integrated switch, both forward and reverse.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Found mine.

Carlos E.R.

Green signals are a /bit/ blue I suppose. I think they use blue glass for green signals with incandescent bulbs. I've seen that with traffic signals.

Reply to
Max Demian

When I was little I used to play with my dad's Meccano from when he was a boy. That had a single-speed motor. The frame of the motor used heavier-duty versions of the flat plates with holes in that were used elsewhere in Meccano. He kept all his parts in a big wooden box with wooden drawers with compartments: probably made by my Grandpa.

Sadly my dad lent all the Meccano to a work colleague for his son to play with, and when he came to ask for it back some year later the colleague said "Oh, I thought you'd *given* it to me, not lent it to me. When [son] grew too old for it, we took it to the tip." Grrrrrr. Old Meccano from the

1940s/50s would probably be worth a bit nowadays.
Reply to
NY

Every mains valve radio had a "Gram" or "PU" socket with switching, usually combined with the waveband switch.

I don't think that would have been legal, certainly not in the UK.

Reply to
Max Demian

Apparently Japanese traffic lights are blue although the word for "green" is used. There's some convoluted reason for using blue and for calling it green.

- Japanese didn't have a word for green for a long time: vegetables and grass are called "blue" as well.

Reply to
NY

Why, is she asymmetrical?

As a young child, I would just pretend to write.

Reply to
Max Demian

Don't joke. My dad is in the early stages of dementia: normally he is fine but if he gets an infection he becomes more confused. He's recovering in hospital from an infection at present. He's right-handed, but when an occupational health nurse asked him the other day "Are you left or right handed" he answered very confidently, and without a moment's thought "left-handed". But then he thought for a moment and said "No I'm not." It doesn't help that he knows my mum is left-handed: he could have been thinking of her in that split second.

I've never understood people who get left and right confused. I can never remember which of the two is port and starboard (*), but left and right are as ingrained in the "immediate lookup table" in my brain as counting, addition and the days of the week are. I've never had to go through the motions of "which hand do I write with?" to work it left and right. Of course, some people can't do the mirror-image processing needed to work out that a person's right hand is on the left side as you are facing them.

(*) I always have to think of "port red wine" (to give the colour of a port light, starboard being green) and "port and left both have four letters" - so there's a brief period of processing rather than it being instinctive.

Reply to
NY

Every AC tube radio.... :-)

I don't doubt what radios had. But I'm talking about my phonograph.

Even in the 1930's?

Reply to
micky