Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

No. There is a figure that government, councils, industries use to work out whether to spend on improved safety or not. If it will cost many millions to save each life, then simply, the money is better spent elsewhere, where it can have more effect.

Reply to
SteveW

Some circuit breakers are not certified for horizontal or inverted installation though. Probably absolutely fine for that use, but not tested for it.

Reply to
SteveW

You've not got a 3-phase supply have you? They often use three vertical rails, one for each phase, with breakers mounted sideways, to supply single phase circuits.

Reply to
SteveW

Couldn't we sell you for spare parts?

Telephone vs calculator keypad layout. How did that happen?

Reply to
Graham.

When I was about 14, I took apart a broken pocket watch.

A couple of the screws were in so tight, I twisted the heads off trying to get them out. Years later I found out they were left-handed screws and I was twisting the wrong way. Every second screw in a gear train was left-handed, so, I guess, the friction against the gear wouldn't loosen the screw.

But a couple of the screws I did get out hit the glass top of the desk and bounced on the floor where they fell into cracks between the hardwood floor boards and I never found them anyway. Don't work on glass. At least it was a very cheap watch.

Reply to
micky

In Philosopher's situation, there were 3 current paths: Hot---1---device-----+-2--neutral-----ground | +-3---ground (view above in an ascii font)

In words: current flows on the hot wire (path1), through the device and then on two separate paths to ground. One path (path2) is on the neutral wire to the panel to ground. The other path (path 3) is through the short circuit (between neutral and ground) in the workshop.

The RCD compares current flow on the hot wire to current flow on the neutral. If there is a difference of flow in low milliamps (5ma in the US, not sure in the UK but maybe 20 ma) the RCD (or GFI in the US) trips. With the short to ground in the workshop a large amount of the current that would normally be on the neutral wire goes to ground, meaning the current on the neutral wire that the RCD "sees" is a lot lower than the current on the hot wire, so the RCD trips.

In addition, some (all?) RCDs may contain circuitry to detect a ground to neutral short even with no device connected, and trip if such a short exists.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Why is there air???

Reply to
Three Jeeps

I never realized they were. I'm left handed and never use the keypad on the right of the keyboard nor do I use calculators often enough to think about it.

I do remember Ma Bell's kiosk at the '64 World's Fair where they were convincing the public how much better touch tone was than rotary.

Reply to
rbowman

The lights are (and I might have got the order upside down)

red yellow green yellow

Red = Stop Green = Go Single Yellow = next signal is red, so prepare to stop at it Double Yellow = next but one signal is red (used where linespeed is higher and stopping distances are greater than spacing of signal posts)

Reply to
NY

Apart form other considerations, a switch is more likely to be accidentally pushed down than up, and we want such accidents to be as safe as possible.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Why does it matter??? They are marked......follow directions and get on to more meaningful things.

Reply to
Three Jeeps

Nope, they are all WAY past their useby date.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In the good old days when switches has sprung loaded toggles, there was no reason to have any particular direction for the 'on' position, but now with the contacts now being a bit of bent beryllium copper, now the switching action is ponderous.

Reply to
Smolley

Reverse screws are used in traditional taps to lift the washer assembly off the seating to make it seem like you are unscrewing a traditional tap when the head of the tap is not actually moving upward.

Reverse screws are used on steering links so you can adjust the effective length by turning the link rod.

Reverse screws are used on quadcopter rotor shafts for two of the motors that are turning clockwise etc etc.

In short there are dozens of places you need a reverse screw,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The point is that they are not at the same voltage. ,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh it was enough to trip a 100mA whole house trip. If you plugged in near the short.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are RCD that auto reset. Expensive, though.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

It's a double whammie - not only has it been proven that the telephone style, rather than the computer style keypad is more accurate and faster for data entry, but also that for maximum efficiency (for the majority who are right handed), the numeric pad should be on the left, allowing the right hand to remain available for mouse movements and the occasional letter or punctuation key.

Reply to
SteveW

That last one is interesting. The other three match what I see here (Spain), the last I don't know. Could be.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.