Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

From your own link, zero, yet they still make a fuss. "no electrocution has been traced back to a failed death cap "

Move to the UK, where we have the sense to understand the difference between live and neutral.

Only if you have a heart condition. How unfit are those singers?

And puts up with noise?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And you're still alive, what does this tell you?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hydrogen, acetylene and propane are all left hand threaded 5/8 bsp. I don't think any of the right-hand threaded butane connections use the 5/8 bsp thread. Air, argon, oxygen, helium and nitrogen all use 5/8 bsp right hand threads. The handedness is generally to prevent fuel gases from being mixed up with air or oxygen rather than preventing different fuels from being mixed up.

John

Reply to
John Walliker
[snip]

My father always said "stylus", which he seemed to think was much better than a "needle".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My first language is not English: I had to seek for a word I am not used to using :-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

The city electrical code.

New construction and repairs require permits and inspection.

Some things like commercial buildings get annual inspections, mostly for fire safety.

I can elect to take risks if I want to. A non-GFD outlet 9 feet away from a faucet doesn't seem very risky to me.

You can be tribal and snarky if you want to.

Hum, the volume spindle would be live.

I must remember to grab one of my old radios from storage and test. I knew, but I have forgotten.

I'm curious. How?

The only Meccano motor I had came with no transformer, so I used batteries or my own transformer, which was safe. Never shocked me.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Some countries have an inspection before electricity is provided for the first time.

Some countries have periodical inspections.

Also, if there is an incident, like a fire, or an electrocution, the insurance people can refuse to pay if there is no RCS.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

The same way a car ignition coil generates 200V on its primary and 25kV on its secondary. Inductive flyback.

12v battery can give you a hell of a shock connected to an ignition coil cant it?

Think you need to revisit electrical circuits 101....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

That "natural" could be only because that's what you're familiar with.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I know someone who can't tell left from right without touching herself.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Interesting that you felt a need to say both. If one way is on, you should already know what the other way is.

Reply to
Herman H

Stylus was the new word, starting in the 1960's iirc. The original word was needle, and they looked like needles, steel pins with a point, about an inch long. Held in place with a finger screw. . I still have my mother's 78 rpm record player, probably from the 20's, and a couple boxes labeled "needles" "Guaranteed to play 10 records". I think it also says "genuine steel".

I couldn't really see the difference between a used needle and a new one, and I hope I didn't damage any of the records.

Her record player doesn't have speakers, not even one, or any controls except on/off. For sound you have to turn on a nearby AM radio and tune to the right frequency. I meant to check if that means I can listen all over the house, which would be really nice, but until just now, I'd forgotten about

Didn't find her brand but this is similar:

Etsy.com also has old needles. I thought it just sold new stuff to make crafts, or newly made crafts.

Reply to
micky

Ah, of course :-)

One of the things I had as a kid was a physics set made by Kosmos. Or an electricity one, I forget which had this experiment. Well, one of the experiments was to build an electric bell, running off a 4.5 battery. And then, a second experiment was to hold both electrodes in my hands.

Shock.

They said they made electric fences for cattle that way, but that it was safe. It wasn't a massive shock, just a shock :-)

I had forgotten that experiment. Never got that shock with a motor, though. Maybe my motors were smaller :-?

Sure does. It is also a massive coil, designed for that.

:-D

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I actually have seen those. I have an electric gramophone somewhere. Or did I give it to someone?

:-D

They do, new or not. Lots of weight in the arm.

No, that's not how they worked.

Radios of that era had a setting named "phone". And a socket. You connected the output of the "electric gramophone" pickup to the phone input of the radio, which was actually the audio amplifier section.

The radio could have a switch to disable the radio section or not, in which case you would have to "tune out" the stations.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I've newer seen a circuit panel where the switches were not sideways. One column of breakers in the panel has ON to the left, and the other column in the panel has ON to the right. What brand of circuit panels has horizontal rows of breakers with the switches working up and down?

Reply to
Ricky

Earth and neutral wires are not the same thing. If you have a single hot wire and a neutral from the transformer, you must have a protective earth at the point of entry such as a ground rod, for example. Using the neutral as protective earth would make all earthed connections in your appliances hot, in the event of a neutral failure coming into your home.

Reply to
Ricky

They can be installed upside down. But then the writing is upside down making the ON switch a NO switch.

Nearly everything in my car goes to 11.

Reply to
Ricky

When would you care???

Reply to
Ricky

In the US they are not at the same voltage. They are 240V different.

Reply to
Ricky