Who sells RF shield cans?

Just did. Same thing. Maybe it's one of those web "designs" that is only tested with IE and doesn't run on other browsers (I am using Mozilla). Not good. With some poking I found their "Worldwide Resellers" link. That one did work but the section where the contact info should be is, ahum, blank. Not good.

Thanks. Now if they only told the world how one can buy their stuff in countries outside the UK ;-)

In the 90's I became a bit hesitant towards companies with poor web presence. Found a great part at a company in Germany. Worked like a champ. Then came the difficult part for my client, buying production quantities. After several weeks their purchasing folks pleaded with me to find them another source.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Works first time here, too. Another quote from the site:

". More recently, Tecan has established a technical sales and support facility in California, in response to growing demand from the USA".

So maybe there's a contact point your side of the pond.

HTH

-- Graham W

PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial WIMBORNE
Wessex Astro Society's Website Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Reply to
Graham W

Got flash enabled?

More info for you:

"Tecan Inc

30021 Tomas Street Suite 300 Rancho Santa Margarita CA 92688 USA

Email: 1 - 877 - 998 - 3226 (toll free) Fax: 1 - 877 - 990 - 4700 (toll free) Email: snipped-for-privacy@tecan-inc.com Contact: Noel Cherowbrier Email: snipped-for-privacy@tecan.co.uk Email: 001 949 459 2105 "

Does that help?

-- Graham W

PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial WIMBORNE
Wessex Astro Society's Website Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Reply to
Graham W

Sometimes a proxy works better. Try connecting from

[...]

Send them to Maxim. Works for John:)

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I don't want idiots blasting crap all over my screen. I don't even enable javascript unless I'm placing an order or such.

If a site needs javascript (or cookies, or ...), I'll go someplace else unless I'm really desperate.

Hal Murray

My sentiments exactly. I erased flash from my computer. I have no need for sites that won't even give you a no-flash entry point.

Opera makes it easy to enable/disable javascript.

But I really hate it when I have no choice but to enable javascript, then wait for 250k of js to download.

On a web page that only takes 8k:)

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

snipped-for-privacy@ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote in news:UJydnYfdyfvmWoPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@megapath.net:

I can see why that makes sense with flash as it's often invasive, can lead to active content running with no control over it, but JavaScript is different, it's text so you can use text filters to block specific commands (and with Proxomitron filters, find them so you don't have to work out your own all the time). JavaScript can be abused, but at least it's transparent, and it is mostly used for the task intended, to save the processing load for local computations when it makes better sense to do that than send extra data to a server to be processed there. You may know this, but if so, you'll probably also know that it's a whole lot less offensive and more useful that unwanted cookies and flash and animated GIF's and Java applets and such. I block most of that, or have no installed support for it, but JavaScript is the exception, I just have Proxomitron filters for the kinds of known abuses it is put to.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Mike Monett wrote in news:Xns9910CD694F237Noemailadr@208.49.80.251:

Same here. I keep up-to-date standalone flash players for when I really want a flash file, I don't like it in general use.

I covered my thoughts on JavaScript in a post just before I made this one, but that sounds weird. Lazy coding. JS can be efficient and small. Most bloat won't be that anyway, but lame design programs that put multiple tags to format every jot and tittle on the page. That said, I have seen bloated overwieght JavaScript, but it's a powerful tool, it makes better sense to blame the abuser not the tool. There's people out there spending more time than we'll ever want to, writing filters to exclude known garbage forms and dangerous exploits, so it's worth running Proxomitron or similar, to use them rather than switching it all off. All the other things like cookies, flash, Java applets, are sealed containers, or compiled, so I do block those.

RS Components use JavaScript for their site. It won't work if you don't use it. I think they overdo it because there should be a way to use the site if it's not enabled, but they do at least use it for the task intended, to limit the strain on their end.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Graham W wrote:

Hal Murray wrote:

Yup.

If they want to do scripting, they should be doing it on their own damned servers. Send me the results when you're done with that.

Yup.

A recent ComputerWorld article was called "Top 10 Firefox Extensions to Avoid". You'll enjoy the comments about it on Slashdot which you could extrapolate to conclude it should have been titled "Gecko Extensions That Site Owners HATE--and You Will LOVE"

The real list of problematic extensions.

JeffM

"JeffM" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

I just woke up so I won't try to find a site to prove a point, but I can say that unless you're hankering after a lost age of terminals and mainframes, that view is hard to justify. Some tasks are best done client side, it's as simple as that. It spares load on the system. That this tool IS horribly abused isn't in doubt, but would you ban all sharp edges because some people use those to attack other people?

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns991161C15D19Bzoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130:

Ok, I have one site to show what I mean, my own. (Part of it, anyway).

A guide to Ghost system recovery.

The site works entirely if JavaScript is disabled, I think that is important. What the minimal script does is to highlight the correct navigation linkage when a page loads, so it doesn't matter whether the end user backspaced or clicked a link or accessed a frame from a remote site link, it ALWAYS tells them correctly where they are. It's trival, but extremely useful, and I wish JavaScript was used this way more often. I had to invent that code, I found NO examples to copy from. The only way a server could emulate this function is to send the entire nav panel to the user every time they changed the page. And if anything funny happened with various caches along the way, even that won't work well.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Don't have flash. I consider sites that require flash without a compelling reason unprofessional ;-)

Thanks, it does. Heck, it's even in our neck of the woods. But they still have to work on that web site.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

But why does a marketeer make it so hard for potential clients to get product information in the first place? Makes absolutely no sense to me. The worst are real estate "professionals". Often they want lots of personal information before you can even peek. They will never get our business, ever.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I fail to see a reason for any of that "modern" fluff with a company that sells simple stamped metal parts. What for?

BTW, the old terminal often was the best. In the early 90's I used to find all my long-haul flights on fully ASCII-based Sabre. Even faster than Southwest which I'd consider one of the most efficient these days. Also, this was over 9600bps dial-up. Since credit card transactions weren't possible yet I then still had to call the airlines but the booking took only minutes because I called with all the data at hand. Then they fluffified that site and it was sold. Gone is that efficiency, for good :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:6fQTh.77$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

I'm all for the removal of fluff, as you can see with a look (it would be quick) at the source of a couple of the pages that I mentioned in another post, including the very minimal use of script for navigation display.

(In case anyone's curious.)

Fluff and client side scripting are different issues, even if they overlap. Much garbage can be inflicted by HTML without ASP and PHP to generate too much of it. Loading images costs more than most other activity.

The real problem comes from lots of space for data, and lots of fast CPU's and comms links, so that care isn't taken to minimise waste. It leads to gross assumptions about client systems. Client side scripting offers a big opportunity for abuse, but that doesn't mean the principle is useless or inappropriate. In fact, if the comms links and all those other resources weren't so plentiful as they are, client side scripting would be far more important than it is now, and would be written as concisely as any other code would have to be.

If anyone finds anything invasive, obscured, bloated, inefficient or broken in the coding on my site, feel free to let me know.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Most of the script kiddies turned web designers don't think about the fact that in some countries dial-up is a far cry from our broadband links. I have been in locations where 4800bps was considered darn good and upon the next sneeze dropped back to 2400bps. Once I had to get a data file across a crackly line, at an average speed of 1200bps. This was not to somewhere in eastern Podunkia but to Canada. Ok, it had to cross an ocean to get there.

I like it. Sure loads fast despite about 6000 miles between us, assuming your server is also in the UK. And that drab green background gives it a tough military touch ;-)

Your livejournal is a bit on the sluggish side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:o0STh.4105$H snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

Aye, it is that. But that oubliette doesn't matter so much. If I thought I could set less posts per page I'd do it. Besides, have you seen MySpace recently? >:) I won't even go there, that's not fluff, that's like Clouseau let loose in a pillow factory. It makes me twitch like Dreyfuss.

The script kiddie thing I agree with you about. It's what I call the adlander syndrome, a kind of vague world of feature rich added value gone literally psychotic. It's killing Maplin Electronics so fast that I think either the kiddiescripters or Maplin themselves will be gone by the end of the year.

Re that background (and the white and orange text), yes, I got the idea from an old wooden army field kit box. I liked the simple function of it. There is this phrase "does what it says on the tin". I think things are at their best when the tin doesn't have to say anything to convey the nature of the content. That guide is for using the core of a recently bloated system of code, to emphasise that the use of just four files that can all fit on a floppy disk can give awesome backup and recovery power for a computer. Symantec now want people to beleive that you have to install a couple of hundred MEGAbytes to do use this, but most of the ability of that entire suite is done with just four files.

I went WAY off-topic here, but I did it to show that I agree there is too much crap online, and that even a person who will go the lengths I did to try to counteract some of it can see that JavaScript is too useful to blame. I actually think it is itself clumsy and overlarge as a language, but it is at least plain text, widely useable, and in moderation, solves more problems than it makes.

My site is local to me, I think. Not sure where Blueyonder actually host their customer's web sites though.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I've never been to myspace. Maybe I am just too freaking old for that. Oh, and we don't have cable TV, no DVD player, no TiVo. Mankind is able to live on very little fluff.

If they don't seek the advice of their most important assets, commonly called customers, it'll be their own fault. It'll be a whole new feeling to the old saying "Going under with flying colors".

I do all the biz books with MS-Works Database. Does all I need. My CPA was quite impressed when I gave the files to him for tax prep. Yet the core of that software is so simple, all the functionality I use was already present in the late 80's DOS version and I can store the files backwards compatible.

Works pretty good though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm... you probably don't have any kids either, do you Joerg? :-) It occurs to me that one of the ways that many parents remain consumers of modern technology is via exposure to or gifts from their kids!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Joerg wrote in news:gjTTh.3376$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

Nor me.. Seriously, I don't even have TV, I just watch the odd show found on Usenet, or listen to the radio or CD's copied to hard disk for convenience. And I don't even know what TiVo is... TV is a bane, at least the BBC license people are. Jackboot jobworths who would LOVE to see me do serious prison time for not taking my soma. It's no accident that most of the potent fictitious dystopias were written by Brits, our political and social climate is made for it. The obsession with TV and reality TV especially, and the fact that we're the number ONE nation in the world for cameras watching in public places, always reminds me of the punk band Crass, who had the best take of all on this:

"Big brother ain't watching you mate, you're f****ng watching him!" >:) Profane or not, it doesn't get better, or truer, than that.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan