name & function of this component cover? (RF shield?)

I was taking a piece of scrap equipment (old cable modem, I think) apart just to see what was in it, & noticed two perforated removable cases around some of the components.

Photos:

I suspect the cases are grounded but perforated to allow airflow but shield the contents from radio interference --- is that right?

What are they called?

--
Destiny is what you are supposed to do in life. Fate is what kicks
you in the ass to make you do it.                 --- Henry Miller

Sounds like you know what they are.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Doghouses. That's not their formal name but it is what we call 'em.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Well, it's nice to get it confirmed.

--
No sport is less organized than Calvinball!
Reply to

Thanks! What would they be called in a catalogue (for example)?

--
svn ci -m 'come back make, all is forgiven!' build.xml
Reply to

RF shield, but most are made to meet a particular design.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

RF shield can, maybe. That googles pretty well.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Probably "RF shield." We've always done custom, the better to fit the shield to the space available, but there are vendors that offer standard parts. For example However, if you also need holes then you'll almost certainly have to go custom.

Reply to
Rich Webb

"The perforated whatchamacallits".

It almost sounds like a trick question, that somehow there should be something more than "shielding".

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It'a not an off the shelf piece. A design is conjured up, it's layed out, and then that defines the size needed, so it's off to the machine shop to make the shielding. Obviously it's mass produced in commercial equipment, but since it's to fit the circuit, it's made for that circuit.

If you were doing it at home, you'd get a metal bending break and bend some thin brass or whatever thin metal you could get cheap. Tin cans would offer up small pieces of metal that would work. Or someone else might solder bits of copper circuit board together to make small shielded compartments, again especially useful since you can make them to the size you need. If you weren't up to that, you'd buy miniboxes (now often too big) to build up isolated stages in.

Or dig through the junk pile until you find something that is the right size. Older (and thus larger) IF transformers were once a source, once transistors came along. Copper pipe might be used, with end caps. I find myself often saving those bits of shielding from commercial equipment because they can make neat boxes for this. Anything that offers up a small box of about the right size is useful, though less likely to be found in today's electronic equipment.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Check out the video: a surface-mount can with removable lid.

They claim to have some standard parts.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

"Adam Funk"

** RF shielding is certainly the purpose - but the other way around.

Those ICs inside generate RFI that could upset services like TV or Wi-Fi so the shielded box is to keep it in.

** The material is typically tin plated steel.

So tin boxes will do.

You see the same in most TV sets, VCRs and FM tuners - housing the tuner itself.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have a bunch of those. They're pretty nice, actually.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Good one! Thanks, everybody.

--
In the 1970s, people began receiving utility bills for
-£999,999,996.32 and it became harder to sustain the

Interesting, thanks.

--
Slade was the coolest band in England. They were the kind of guys
that would push your car out of a ditch.         --- Alice Cooper

te:

We get some things like that from leader tech.

I've just used the 'fencing' without the top... that was enough to stop capacitive feedback in a high gain amp. It all seems way over priced to me. I seem to recall ~$25 for a 2"x2" fencing and top.

I also buy stuff from these guys,

A little PCB shield 100 for ~$4 each. It was cheaper to design the circuit to fit under the shield than making a custom shield.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The Laird ones are cheaper than that, and really very nice. I like being able to work on stuff without having to desolder the shield.

Here's Digikey's selection:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"screening can" has been in common usage for some time.

Reply to
Ian Field

That sounds sort of British to me. I wish you guys would learn to talk proper American.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If it weren't for British English, you'd all be speaking French.

Reply to
Ian Field