Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

I prefer things designed for adults.

I very much doubt Apple can beat Intel anyway.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hand wavey platitude.

In 1976 I got 50mpg out of my car. In 2020 I got 50 mpg...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It says its just another ARM chip, invented *37 years ago* and used in every mobile phone...

ArtStudents™ think Marketing is engineering. Bless!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sure, in the same way the latest Intel CPU is "just another x86 invented 44 years ago"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Like Apple could make something better than Intel. Hang on, don't Apple subcontract CPUs?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope. Apple Mac mini M1 power consumption is 3 times lower than Intel model: A testament of Apple Silicon's efficiency

Really?

Reply to
RJH

Yeah right, someone can make a better chip than Intel. ROTFPMSL!

Yes really. ART, not Engineering. Different mindset entirely.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh dear. You are so ignorant you do not even know what and ARM chip is.

See above.

In your case yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So not a slide rule. Either or both of you are in the company of Sam Cooke: #"Don't know what a slide rule is for."#

Reply to
Max Demian

Get your OCD seen to by a doctor immediately, then come back and talk to the adults.

At no point did I say my link was a slide rule you f****ng moron.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No breaking of any laws of physics involves, just better design.

Reply to
Jock

It isn't make do, it is vastly better. That's why there isn't a market for the old stuff anymore.

Reply to
Jock

Some of the time it is, most obviously with solid state disks, led lights, ECMs in cars, inductive charging etc etc etc.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it takes a radical breakthru like with flying, nuclear power etc etc etc.

And modern cars require far less tuning and are much more reliable than one that is 50 years old.

Reply to
Jock

In 1979, my wife and I bought a new Ford Mustang. On the way home from the dealer, the engine stalled at every stoplight.

Fast forward to 2017 when I bought a new Ford Escape. Yup, you guessed it. On the way home from the dealer, the engine stalled at every stoplight.

Apparently the engineers couldn't keep the engine running at low RPM so the marketing department named the "feature" Auto Start/Stop technology.

( Seriously though, the Escape has been awesome. We plan to buy an Explorer soon. )

Reply to
Jimmy Farley

Dunno, I have watch recent denials by Ford about their engines failing and wouldn't touch a Ford myself. I prefer Hyundais.

Reply to
Jock

It's not Apple vs Intel it's TSMC vs Intel.

Apple's processor is an ARM so it's going to be more efficient than intels X86

Reply to
Jasen Betts

True, but possibly not the way you meant it. AMD is partnered with TSMC and the Zen 3+ design on TSMC 6nm capabilities is currently kicking Intel ass.

When comparing RISC to CISC you have to be careful to specify what area you're comparing for efficiency. Power consumption has been where RISC has shone. It took a while for compilers to catch up to create optimized code. Code size is necessarily greater, hence more RAM.

RISC designed like Atmel's AVR products are a lot more fun to program in assembler even if it does take more lines.

Reply to
rbowman

Not exactly. More of a testament to the silicon foundry that turned Apple's processor design into an integrated circuit.

Of course they can. Intel's silicon foundry has been lagging the state of the art for a few years now. They've now bought one that they hope can do better.

Marketing is a kind of engineering - describing what you have to sell in terms that make it look attractive to people who don't actually know what they are buying, without leaving any room for lawyer to charge you with fraud. The tools involved are words, and Commander Kinsey doesn't know what they mean - or at least not exactly enough to realise what is involved.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Apr 22 20:31:39 UTC) it happened Jimmy Farley snipped-for-privacy@fake.id wrote in snipped-for-privacy@news.usenet.farm>:

Lemme see, around 1973 I had a Ford Mustang V8 Cobra Special Never stalled at stoplights,.. Out of there fast :-)

Maybe saves fuel? With today's prices not a bad idea?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In terms of power consumption, yes, but is that the be all and end all of 'efficiency'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher