Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:08:46 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Just for the sake of argument, and because posting to DIY and electronics.design driving an RC servo is not that hard:

will have to learn PIC asm ;-)

You may want to use a PIC with ADC so you can measure voltage I use a lot of 18F14K22 in all sort of projects

some other stuff:
Here is an other of my PIC servo driver projects at work:
camera acquiring and tracking object

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Clearly the units have to be converted.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Never played with those things. I only have 100 cores of Window PC.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No. It can be done entirely in analogue. Servo motor controls a potentiometer that balances out a potential divider to match the incoming unknown voltage. Classic A level physics experiment.

Put a needle on the shaft of the pot and you are done!

It is how all servos were done once upon a time in the pre digital age.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Obviously you have never seen the evolution of cars, airplanes, electronics and the advances that can be made in five years.

Cars today no longer have to be hand cranked to start and the top models even have heaters in them. Amazing the progress they made.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

use a regular size meter modified to have a glass back with an overhead projector.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:12:19 +0100) it happened Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in <t3bnf4$17oc$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

This is about RC servos, easy to obtain anywhere at low cost for small ones,

scroll down to 'Control Signal' for specs.

Those servos have a chip to drive the motor and a potmeter feeds back to it as you described. The RC protocol is almost universal. Maybe you could hack one but then you need to design the drive electronics and comparator. Remember servo turns both ways... Would be a lot more work. Else SHOW us what you have.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

To make PWM from DC volts you'll need a ramp generator and a comparator. The ramp doen't need ot be perfectly linear, you can adjust the scale markings.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Obviously you haven't .

Nothing much has changed in any of those fields - they are pretty mature tech.

Nor have they been for the last 60 years

and the top models

I remember heaters in the 1950 cars

Amazing the progress they made.

Amazing the delusions you suffer from

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't understand why people go into engineering and science. According to you, everything is already invented and will never get better. Nothing can or will be improved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

RC servos are the bomb. I've used them to rotate diffraction gratings in spectrometers.

For applications needing higher performance than a dial meter for demos, you can get Oilite bronze bearings, titanium gears, high speed, and gobs of torque for $150 in onesies.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Coincidentally, I had a conversation this morning with an engineer who works for Ford. He works in image processing; one of the projects he worked on a few years ago enables the backup camera to initiate braking if it sees an obstacle. He actually benefited from this feature on a cloudy, gray day when he was backing up toward a gray car.

My husband gave him an idea for additional features for automatic headlights. He said he'd split his bonus with us if he gets one.

There really is a lot more going on than you realize, TNP.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes. And when, on the plant, they have volts they can drive an electronic device that is going to be cheaper, more accurate, have logging and remote transmission capability, be self illuminating, etc etc. And when it stops working they know the volts have stopped too.

As I said, chemical plant still has a use for pressure gauges.

Reply to
newshound

But there's the basic idea a big analogue thing gives you a rough reading fast, and a digital one gives you an accurate reading slowly. Compare analogue clock face to digital watch. Compare analogue speedometer to digital.

Surely there are digital ones of those?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think TNP has reached his “new tech” limit.

The automatic headlights on my car are quite amazing. I haven’t worked out how the work but they’re a *lot* more sophisticated that a simple forward pointing photocell. I suspect some fairly serious image processing is going on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you know how to use one, I've never even seen one. Do I have to use Linux?

And please stop removing the other groups, there are people discussing this in the UK and in an electronics group.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh golly, a reversing camera with smarts! That will really increase the range

And what, pray *fundamental* difference does that make to the car?

Here we are with car with a battery we cant mine the minerals for with a range that is inadequate and a charge time that is excessive. I mean LETS ADD A SMART REVERSING CAMERA instead of solving the insoluble problems and call it 'new tech'

In my day we called it 'chrome, and tailfins'

God you are pathetic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And how much has the increased the range?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In 1889, Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office. He is widely quoted as having stated that the patent office would soon shrink in size, and eventually close, because… “Everything that can be invented has been invented.”

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, you are pathetic. See my post about the new battery materials in the works. Sorry you cannot see the future. It will be fun for those of us that embrace it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski