Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

New models have a range comparable to a gas car, 350 to 400 miles. Yeah, takes 30 seconds to plug in twice a week. Still faster than stopping at a gas station.

Rather than dwell on the negatives, educate yourself and you will find many have been overcome or will be soon.

If I had need for two cars, one would be an EV today. Even now, it is good for 90% of my needs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Pity about the price of those.

Not when your car isn't garaged or carported and that time is just plugging, not unplugging.

I'm not doing that, I am pointing out why an electric car is no use to me and isn't likely to ever be.

Been there, done that.

None have.

If they ever are, time to consider an electric car then, and whether they do better in any area than an ic car because if they don't, no point in having one.

I wouldn't, because the only advantage they have is the cost of refuelling and that isn't paid for by the much higher price of the car, particularly if you don't buy new, as so many don't.

It has no advantage at all for any of mine, only real downsides.

Reply to
Jock

** Moving coil meters all have them - excepting maybe some edge reading types.

Essential to keep the scale linear.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have such a mechanism, except it doesn't have the pointer or scale fitted. In fact I have several.

They are Texas Instruments chart recorders with moving coil mechanisms to deflect the pen across the chart. Later chart recorders use servomotors with potentiometers for positional feedback and small motors, but these ones just have an enormous moving coil mechanism and no feedback.

There is an Alnico (or similar) horseshoe magnet about 5 inches in each dimension, with curved pole pieces attached, and coil about an inch and a half across, several inches long, in precision bearings, IIRC with a stationary cylindrical iron piece inside the coil to increase and shape the magnetic flux.

I have no idea what use they could be but can't bring myself to throw them out. I guess they might be usable as laser galvos, though the coils are not optimised for low moment of inertia so I think they would not be great for that.

Unfortunately unshielded magnets weighing more than several house bricks are not the kind of things that are easily sent in a parcel, and I live in Australia, otherwise I would try to sell you one, or give it to you if you asked nicely enough.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Oh they're beautiful, but even older and better made than what I was remembering (hence those have a lot of antique value, £92+ is a bit much!), which was metal/plastic and cream coloured, sorta like the top part of these post office scales but painted cream, with just a voltage scale across it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Simple is a relative term, these were professionally made in a factory.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

To quickly see a value from a distance.

It's volts and amps I want.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No a larger one so people can read it from 30 feet away.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

£80 + shipping is certainly too much.

All have centered needles for a +/- indicating instrument. All scales are NOT so. The 2nd is a really bad 'restoration' job with a non-fitting scale, not even aligned with the rotation center. The 3rd and 4th are also with a bad replaced scale, but at least centered.

I'd say this is only worth $15 + shipping.

Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muijnck

Doesn't that mean me designing a PWM controller?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Space in the pistons added together is the usual measurement.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cars run on acid cells use 90% of their power moving the weight of the lead.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There must be some still kicking about.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

These were for large voltages and currents (well something like 10V and 5 amps).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I see a lot of old chart recorders on Ebay, I might get one if I can find one closer to home. A lot are in the States.

Pity you don't have rest of it or you could get some cash for it and someone could put it to good use.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I wouldn't pay the £80 + shipping, but I'd say it was worth it to somebody, since they're antiques and rare.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

you don't have pistons on an electric car.

Reply to
charles

Use an arduino. Then you can use the arduino a/d convertor inputs as well for your measurement! win win!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

wait 5 years ... if they haven't got much better - same battery material, same range, charging times not much different than now - then quietly forget the whole idea...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are no pistons in an electric car, stupid.

Reply to
Jock