Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

Ok, in 2040, where will you buy gasoline, at the airport? The remaining ICE on the road won't justify keeping open a distribution network for autos. While gas will drop to probably $2 a gal in the next couple of years as BEVs start to make a dent in the number of gas cars on the roads, that will only last so long before prices start going back up as it becomes more costly to maintain the distribution network for the smaller amount of gas being produced. As the demand drops, eventually it will be very expensive, like $10 a gallon, to get any gas at all, and it will all be unleaded regular. So don't plan on running your high performance, high compression muscle car.

The idea of running an ICE for another 45 years is pretty much a fantasy at this point.

Reply to
Ricky

Do you have a BEV? The only people I've seen complain about charging times, are people who don't own them.

Personally, I don't see a need for faster charging. My car is a bit shy on range from what I'd like to have, but then it is nearly four years old and they do much better today.

Reply to
Ricky

Do what most days? Plug it in when you get home. Set the timer to charge at night when electricity is cheapest and you never have to visit a smelly gas station again.

Reply to
Ricky

Many simply don't want to learn about BEVs. They want to believe what they want to believe. That's ok. Anyone will be able to keep their current car as long as they want. They just won't be able to drive it because no one will continue selling gasoline when only 1% of the country want it.

I haven't found a use case my BEV doesn't fit. It does a lot of things my old car didn't. Oh, wait, there's one thing I can't do in my BEV. I can't rev the engine in neutral or make a bunch of noise. Oh, I can't blow smoke out of the exhaust and I can't murder anyone by piping the exhaust into their bedroom window. Yeah, and I can't use the fuel to start a fire. Geez, there are so many gasoline fires in cars. Those things are DANGEROUS!

Reply to
Ricky

Yes, my car in Puerto Rico has seat heaters! Niiiiice.

Reply to
Ricky

It helps with clock hands as well. I have a cheap wall clock that would die when the battery didn't have enough power to move the second hand uphill. I added a counterweight and it runs a couple of months more now before I need to replace the battery.

That used to be a standard feature on clock hands when they were wind up. A lot of electric clocks don't bother. Also they often don't have second hands. The leverage on the minute and hour hands is a lot greater.

Reply to
Ricky

I assume you mean the high beam control? I don't use it. It's pretty good dipping to low beam, but it seems like a lot of things prevent going back to high beam. I just work that myself.

Reply to
Ricky

Do you have 10 or 11? I am running wsl with Ubuntu on one machine and Kali on another. wsl has come a long way and there now is a X server included that integrates nicely. I've got a dedicate Linux box too but for some things wsl works well.

I did have problems on the laptop where the system would crash when the display went to sleep. I don't think HyperV played well with the Acer drivers. One or the other may have been fixed by now but I didn't reinstall wsl after removing it.

Reply to
rbowman

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:01:49 -0600) it happened rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

No, never used DragonOS. I have several RTL_SDR sticks now in the raspis, some are 1 ppm One reads my outside weather station :-) One reads airplane data using dump1090 and logs and displays it:

One reads ship AIS data and logs and displays it:

Also very old version.. Latest one has many more features. One 1 ppm I have laying about as spectrum analyser used with my own software:
xpsa is running on my laptop, on the PC and I ported it to Rasberry too. Latest version has more features, I have not released it yet. I have done some QO100 reception stuff like receiving SSB and the wideband transponder with a rtl-sdr stick and some hardware I designed using this software on the laptop:
These are the 1ppm sticks I use:
There is more...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:08:22 -0600) it happened rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Have dot doen wirewrap in ages...

soldering.... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:24:58 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Yes, huge, but encoded, soem run at lower frame-rate, yes I keep several weeks. Been playing with the Pimoroni IR camera module on Raspberry, low resolution but detects body heat. That has now passed the 'several weeks 24/7 on' test.

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:55:50 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Indeed

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There is a problem with AMD. Their implementation of VT-D (virtualization to use two OSes on one CPU) sux. It slows the system right down and it's hard to interact with it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The film shows how people gradually became stupider. The same is happening with programmers because they don't have to fit their programs into tight RAM allocations any more.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I thought they could be turned off out of respect for something, eg. they're talking about a deceased relative.

Of course your arm could always get in the way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There's a coal hauling train goes past me as there's a power station 10 miles down the road. The rails can't handle the weight, they're constantly repairing them.

Someone has put a rude comment under there!

Do you guys have to put a f****ng flag everywhere?

Yeah we have one of those. Nice smooth tarmac. I often startle people by going for a run barefoot along it. It's perfect for toughening the soles, hard but no sharp things. I also took a Scarlet Macaw with me one time (on a lead long enough for her to fly around), that amused everyone.

Funny, we had a courier service called Amtrak. They went bust.

Russia has loads of stuff to sell, buy that. They'll give you a good price.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or projector. The Optoma ones are f****ng bright. You can use them with sun streaming through the window.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Windows 3 decades ago is not equal to Windows today.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

11 of course. Why not take it as it's free? I bypassed the stupid TPM requirement (which only 1 of my 7 machines passed) using something called Rufus.

Apparently HyperV is an even bigger piece of s**te than VT-X and Oracle Virtualbox.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Isn't wirewrap what amateurs do that can't solder?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey