Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

Where can I buy a large analogue meter? Big enough to show to a room of people, about a foot long pointer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:45:06 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

Use a small one, camera and monitor? Or just draw it digitally on a monitor?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
+AD4- Where can I buy a large analogue meter? Big enough to show to a room of +AD4- people, about a foot long pointer.

I am sure there was one used in a willy wonka film.

Reply to
Jon

A small one and a smartphone/tablet video fed to a decent sized screen.

You wouldn't be able to afford an analogue meter that large. Though you could build one from scratch in the true DIY fashion.

Model 8 Avo is about as big as they ever realistically get now.

ISTR Gallencamp (sp?) did larger ones for school labs back in the 70's. There is a Unilab 8" one +/- 50 uA on eBay right now.

Martin Brown

Could do, but I remember a long long time ago when I was at school, the teacher had a voltmeter with a foot long needle. They must exist somewhere.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would give it artificially increased sentimental value. I don't want to pay over the odds.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

R/C servo with pointer, PIC with ADC, code.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

get a smaller one and a video camera.

Reply to
charles

Big screen TV with an analogue representation of a digital reading performed in software.

Reply to
alan_m

Doesn't look so good.

I was in school in the 80s, and we had massive ones, looked like some kind of old fashioned weighscale from a fair. Very useful for the whole class to see the volts and amps in a circuit under demonstration.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oops. Volts/amps please.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This shouldn't be necessary, in the 80s in school we had enormous voltmeters and ammeters for demonstrations. Just a simple coil meter with a long lightweight pointer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It just isn't the same.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Make one yourself then. This is uk.d-i-y the clue is in the name!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Easier to press a button on Ebay, I can't believe nobody makes them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't find anything over 6 inches. I remember ones over a foot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They may well have existed then, but given the modern alternatives suggested by Jan that exist, I doubt there's a market for large meters now.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It just isn't the same. Would you buy a 6.2 litre electric car?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oooh yeah! Where can I get something like that?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Stepper motor and a counterbalanced pointer, and some drive electronics and some software.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher