What the Hell has happened to this group???

Having reading problems? Try again.

John

We are currently designing a rackmount scientific instrument controller that uses a Kontron Mini-ITX cpu board running Linux. It talks PCIe to the FPGA on our board, which is full of fast signal processing stuff and microengines and cool things like that. That makes sense for an embedded system where we want reliability and speed and will mostly write our own code. Windows Embedded is a cruel joke.

John

Linux is ideal for control situations. Used widely by government device vendors. That should tell you something.

After they killed the w2k DE environment. That embedded DE got praise. This new crap is... well... crap.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

lant

LOL!! No I'm not, my headers are spoofed so I don't get those annoying "your browser is not compatible with our site blah blah blah" messages.

Reply to
orion.osiris

As long as your 'Doze system isn't plugged directly into the internet, I see no problem. If you _need_ internet connectivity for your Eng. apps, then hire a Linux geek to put a proper firewall in your gateway box.

I use Linux for all my internet stuff, but when I need to use 'Doze, (Windows 2000 Professional, FWIW), I disconnect.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You sound like a pragmatist, i.e., "What works?" ;-)

Did you know that in CP/M, hitting control-C reboots the whole system? ;-) And you had to write your own BIOS! =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I saw that on the teevee, and almost fell off the couch laughing!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I wonder who the bobble-headed lackey behind him is?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I haven't had any problems. I do a virus scan now and then, but none so far.

John

You tell 'm, Rich! BTW, here's another important tip: never run Linux as Root whilst connected to the internet. You'll likely as not end up with a rootkit installed and never know about it...

Reply to
orion.osiris

You tell 'm, Rich! BTW, here's another important tip: never run Linux as Root whilst connected to the internet. You'll likely as not end up with a rootkit installed and never know about it...

Reply to
orion.osiris

Paranoid retard behavior.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

The thing is titled Obama "resolved to confront" piracy, when the idiot clearly states that he is resolved to confront privacy.

But we all already knew that.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Total bullshit.

Accessing UNKNOWN networks and servers *can* result in this, but the likelihood is low.

It is unwise to spend a day that way, but a few minutes performing specific tasks is usually safe enough. I have been doing it through ten years of Linux distros and have NEVER had "a rootkit installed".

I think you heard something years ago, and make up your own scenarios and stats to make yourself appear as being intelligent.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

Look, fucktard... ONE post is enough. Either get a decent news client or get out.

Goddamned web browsing of Usenet is even more retarded than the shit you say while you are here. Goddamned double posting is retarded. Knowing the group's luck, you probably did it thinking it hadn't shown up soon enough to suit you, which is about as 100% clueless as it gets.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

--
Me neither.

I don\'t visit pron sites, I\'ve been running XP for years on a Gateway
Windows box, and I\'ve got Norton AV and StopSign looking for virii and
worms and Trojan horses and such and the only time the system shuts down
and restarts is late at night, when I\'ve allowed it to accept automatic
upgrades which I have to sign for later on.

IWFM...

JF
Reply to
John Fields

s,

I have run a Puppy linux CD as root for days and days without anything getting in.

Reply to
MooseFET

I run 'Doze98 under Bochs when I absolutely have no choice. The nice thing is that after I'm done, I can mount the faked C drive, copy the resulting files out and then overwrite the faked C. This works out quite nicely. 'Doze 98 will run for several hours without crashing from the image of a fresh install.

Reply to
MooseFET

How many has it ever found?

Reply to
Mr. Haney

ent

I'm so sorry, I didn't realise the group now had a moderator. Actually, I do have Agent lurking about somewhere in the archives which I could easily re-install, but I can' t be bothered for a nobody like you. If you don't like it, that's just tough, pal.

Yeah, it's obvious you have the group's best interests in mind.

Reply to
orion.osiris