What happened to Phil Allison?

Last post I see from Phil was 6/17. Any idea where he is? MikeK

PS. No this is not a poll on heaven or hell!

Reply to
amdx

WGAF.

Reply to
ian field

| *----------------------------'
Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"amdx"

** Right here, checking posts out every day.

Wot a lot of bollocks the NG is full of now.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oh, I don't know. John Larkin has been talking electronics for a change, and Phil Hobbs has been active.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Don't be a stranger. This board is dull without your scintillating wit!

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Not surprising, given that it's populated largely by septic tanks.

Win Jin Pom

It is just a high noise level..... Filtering & ignoring work for me...

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

--
And you, at least, seem to be confining yourself to just one topic you
know nothing about. ;)

--
Oops...

Please excuse me, I meant just one off-topic topic.
Reply to
John Fields

Which would be?

I know you don't have a high opinion of my expertise - you mostly lack the wit to know what I'm talking about - but I'm curious as to what you might think this "one topic" might be.

It is difficult to thing of a topic that I might know nothing about - admittedly there are plenty where you don't value what I do know - but "knowing nothing" isn't quite the same as "knowing something that John Fields considers to be wrong" and objective outsiders wouldn't equate the two statements, and soome might find them diametrically opposed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Michael, this one needs watching:

Win Jin Pom snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

It has all the criteria.......

mike

Reply to
m II

--
If you have to ask, then there are two.
Reply to

As your follow-up post made clear, the fault was in your English expression - as is so often the case - and not my comprehension of written English.

Technically speaking, it is impossible,because if I could identify it, I'd know at least one thing about it.

That is the wording that that you would have preferred that I used. Everybody's opinion of the reliability of their knowledge is fundamentally subjective, but my data-base has been being tested against reality for some fifty years now, and has proved to be pretty reliable.

You seem to have stopped testing yours against reality around the time the 555 became obsolescent, which would be about thirty years ago.

hn

It wasn't an explicit claim, but it is clearly implicit in your post, because

"just one topic you know nothing about"

clearly implies the existence of a number of topics that you consider I know nothing about, and yet post about. Since you can't express yourself very well, we have to ignore the fact that if I knew absolutely nothing about a topic, I wouldn't be able to post anything about - as I wouldn't know that it existed - and work out that what you intended to say was that you disagreed with stuff that I had posted.

Sadly, it wasn't a straw man, though you will obviously have trouble following the logic that demonstrates that you are an inarticulate Texan nitwit suffering from persistent delusions of competence.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Au contraire.

Given the small number your recent off-topic posts (thank you for
that) and the smiley at the end of my statement, one who claims
adequacy of language skills should have beeh able to glean meaning
from the sentence.
Reply to
John Fields

Hmmm. A search in Mouser for the 555 yields 6 pages. On the first page alone you'll find that there are 152,667 555s in stock. Searching for 555s in Digikey yields 4 pages of results, all in stock. The quantity on the first page alone totally swamps the Mouser quantities - well over 400,000 in stock.

Mouser and Digikey (and others) seem to have a better grip on reality than you do, focusing on the viability of the part, rather than what you see as its "obsolence".

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Slowman *is* obsolete. Why would you expect him to see the world any differently?

Reply to
krw

There are also SMD versions of the 555, so it must have current applications..

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

John Fields isn't the only engineer who is still repeating what worked for him forty years ago. It doesn't make the 555 (or the 741) any less obsolete.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman