New Lattice 32-bit Embedded Microprocessor Available Through Unique Open Source License

"

"

Reply to
Mark van Wyk

"

"

Reply to
fpgaman

The link to the store does not show the board directly. What is the price? Is there any low cost evaluation kit alternative and what kind of debugger will work? Thank you ..richard

Reply to
betterone11

Looks like the web store is a little slower in the loop...

When you get a direct link like given above, it's normally a good idea to also find the related press release :

this mentions the prices of the EvalPCB's & toolchains.

This core complements the Mico8, but is much larger. What would be nice is an intermediate core: along the lines of "smallest core that can run HLL" - with 16/18 bit opcodes ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

thanks for the heads up. i've notified the Lattice store. the mico32 development kit should be up on the store later today. rgds, bart, Lattice

The LatticeMico32 Development Kit is available now and is priced at $995. The Kit includes both the ispLEVER design tools, regularly priced at $695, and the development board, which as a stand-alone is priced at $595.

Reply to
bart

Jim Granville schrieb:

finally - a 100% Eclipse-+GNU based SoC system with open-source RTL that just works.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Have you used it yet?

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Jon Beniston schrieb:

I started the Eclipse based builder, made a project generated the RTL it was blazing fast and easy.

The IP cores are described in XML, the generated source code is plain verilog, the compiler toolchain is GCC based, I see no reasons why it would not work. Its not so hard to make things that work actually.

I havent yet tested it - I do not own any Lattice boards with some largish FPGA - I was about to buy from private money for my collection the LatticeSC PCIe single lane eval board - but unfortunatly it is not yet available for purchases. So I possible have make some wrappers around Xilinx primitives and check it out on Xilinx FPGA. I opened the proect in ISE project navigator it all looks eays and understandable. GSR, ADDSUB and EBR components from Lattice libraries should be substituted then I guess it would synthesize.

Lattice I would love to test LM32 out on Lattice silicon, but see above the only board I was/am ready to buy isnt available. After ECP2/M announce I maybe will wait up ECP2/M PCIe board, or XP2 board.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

bart schrieb:

and..Any plans for uClinux on Mico32?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I was looking at the open source agreement and one paragraph strikes me as a bit odd.

Appendix C

  1. The Provider grants to You a personal, non-exclusive right to use object code created from the Software or a Derivative Work to physically implement the design in devices such as a programmable logic devices or application specific integrated circuits. You may distribute these devices without accompanying them with a copy of this license or source code.

It looks like the only rights to the object code created is to use it in an ASIC or FPGA. Am I just missing the point or does this keep you from using this for any other purpose? Or would there be no point to any other purpose? I am not real clear on which software the license is actually talking about.

Reply to
rickman

I worked before with the NIOSII and a price tag was on the tool. As I can see it here there is not much difference with the Lattice approach. Even if someone finds later a 3rd party low cost board and debugger you still need to buy the ispLEVER software for $595. Or is there a complete free solution with the LatticeMico32? ..richard

Reply to
betterone11

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

look at the list of supported devices, if you use any of them then you can use the free ispLever starter and do not need to pay a dime.

I havent looked at the debugger yet, but all the rtl for the jtag-debug is open so it wouldnt be so hard to make a open-source debugger if there isnt any solution yet.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Lattice give you the RTL for free and you are allowed to use it on any device, including non-Lattice devices. i.e. you don't have to buy ispLEVER or any Lattice FPGAs.

In contrast, the NIOS and MicroBlaze RTL costs tens of thousands of dollars, and I believe you are only able to use it either in an ASIC or on their devices.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Jon Beniston schrieb:

MicroBlaze source code license costs 19 KUSD

the Mico32 RTL is free, but... it is too advanced verilog for Xilinx XST so synplify is needed for synthesis :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Source yes, but not RTL. My guess it's lots of instantiated primitives, thus not portable. Last time I asked about ASIC licensing, they wanted

150k. Funnily enough, I went elsewhere ;-)

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

it's my humble understanding that Mico32 is truly RTL, i.e. we do not use any library elements, so it should be portable. (although, of course, we'd like for you to buy our chips!) rgds, Bart Borosky, Lattice, online marketing manager

Reply to
bart

bart schrieb:

Yes it is.

but it uses verilog at such advanced level that is not supported by Xilinx XST synthesis, e.g. it is only useable with Synplify as synthesis tool

Antti

Reply to
Antti

bart schrieb:

Yes it is.

but it uses verilog at such advanced level that is not supported by Xilinx XST synthesis, e.g. it is only useable with Synplify as synthesis tool

Antti

Reply to
Antti

It's about time Xilinx had full Verilog 2001 support really. What year is it?

Still, on the plus side, if you do use Synplify, at least the rest of your design might work too ;-)

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

I believe they have an OEM agreement with Mentor so Precision should be OK as well (I hope :-)

Hans

Hans