What is awesome in German?

So how would you write when preparing a presentation? Are slides written or spoken? Is your script (assuming you prepare one for practice / reference) written or spoken (shorthand is OK, it's not usually word for word anyway)?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I interpreted the question as how face-to-face dialogue is represented in the literature, which has little if anything to do with how people actually speak. Presentations and slides have a different purpose than to represent actual dialogue.

The presentation I make are given in English, which is the professional language around here. I can't remember the last time I gave a presentation to a Norwegian-only audience.

Rune

Reply to
Rune Allnor

I once met a guy (I'm not sure where he was from) whose name was spelled "Kjell", and pronounced, "Shell."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Isaac Asimov once said that if the telephone had been invented in Germany, it'd be a "Fernsprecher."

I once saw that on the TV show "Batman"

"The Ghoti Oeufs company". Robin asked, "go-tie oofs?" but Batman corrected him. ;-) It meant "fish eggs", "oeufs" being French for "eggs"; and oddly enough, it was Catwoman's hideout.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

,

That -is- the German word for it, though the Germans I knew said "Telefon".

The story is that when the Kaiser was told about the new invention he asked, "But what is it called in German?"

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

8/

On the short-lived TV reincarnation of "Mission Impossible" a female killer was tracked by her perfume, "Camion".

It sounds nice, but in French it's a big diesel truck.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Den tings can totally go ta heck, eh?

Voice examples of the dramatic change in the various language when combined under pressure and 30 feet of snow.

Your welcome, eh?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Would they have less trouble talking if they kept more of their teeth?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Anne-

the

=3Dawesome&relink=3Don

adults=20

original=20

Gosh, so understated, so stark. You have devalued yourself.

Reply to
JosephKK

Lackwit.

Reply to
JosephKK

"judbelt".

anything

hand to

Getting close. My high school German is too decayed to directly help, but my American is damn decent. But what is left of my Deutsche saw the pun.

Reply to
JosephKK

two

Much closer. Still missed the pun indicated by the glasses.

Reply to
JosephKK

Bonnes

last two

Thanks, that helps with the pun.

Reply to
JosephKK

typeface,=20

is=20

not=20

etching.=20

=20

=20

are=20

A treasure trove. Sounds like many museum grade items.

Reply to
JosephKK

"Wir=20

but=20

wiedergegeben?)

Literally, "Wir konnen alles" comes out as "we know it all". Perhaps "we understand it all", "except high German". The mountain / plains dichotomy.

languages=20

may=20

=20

Reply to
JosephKK

"Wir

can, but

mix=20

funny=20

languages

Heilbronn may

by

Oh Damn. I seem to have mislaid much of the differences between konnen and vissen.

Reply to
JosephKK

And 'kennen'.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Getting close. My high school German is too decayed to directly help, but my American is damn decent. But what is left of my Deutsche saw the pun.

Hello Joseph,

There is a rhyme in the sentences.

(gem)acht (l)acht

(K)ammer (j)ammer

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

Combinations of letters to make new sounds are common im many languages. Modern Greeks call the letter we call " delta" "thelta" as in "then". Theta makes the sound in "thin". Representing the initial sound in "double" is done with a diglyph that I forget. The sound 'b' as in beer is rendered with mu/pi/

Jerry

Jerry Avins

A flintlock uses flint to make a spark. A matchlock uses a smoldering match (slow fuse) to set off the powder. A cap lock uses percussion caps. The lock consists of the moving parts of any muzzle loader. The skills needed to make one are those of any locksmith.

Jerry

Jerry Avins