What is awesome in German?

It's "daß" with a fancy eszett, not a 'k'. Gothic German can be hand to decipher if you're not used to it.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Hello,

I have it, in German. Let's hope you understand my translation.

Dieser Krug ist gemacht, dass man jubelt und lacht. Doch in geheimer Kammer, schläft der Katzenjammer.

This pitcher is made, to make people laugh and chear. But on the q.t., (But in private) sleeps the hangover

The last sentence means that the next day the hangover will come.

Best regards, Helmut A German in Germany

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

"Helmut Sennewald" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:heb3th$68b$03$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

Hello again,

My wife corrected the sentence with the hangover. I also forgot the sentence on the small glasses, schnappsglas (shot glass?).

--
 Dieser Krug ist gemacht,
dass man jubelt und lacht.
Doch in geheimer Kammer,
schläft der Katzenjammer.

This pitcher is made,
to make people laugh and chear.
But on the q.t.,  (But in private)
the hangover sleeps.

The last sentence means that the next day the hangover will come.
Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:31:10 +0100) it happened "Helmut Sennewald" wrote in :

Maybe better: 'But in a secret place waits the hangover'?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ws:heb3th$68b$03$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

lt".

ing

and to

?).

So what exactly does "sleeps in the secret chamber" imply in English? Is it from a poem?

Properly translating these "winged phrases" with obscured meanings becomes important when politicians say them, for example Putin's "to wet in the outhouse". i.e. to murder someone.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Probably 'geheim' is better translated to 'private' and perhaps the last two lines translated to: But in the private chamber hangover lingers

Uwe Bonnes snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

Uwe Bonnes

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:57:48 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Uwe Bonnes wrote in :

Ah, 'geheimer Kammer' is the BRAIN! Of course (its old German slang)! The only secret place is your head :-) But in the head the hangover lingers? But in the head the hangover waits? ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yep, that's an ess-tset ß, not a k.

And "Spiel", not "speil".

Hate to break it to you... but this isn't a Seder set. There's no religious meaning to either of the inscriptions. Might have been *used* as a Seder set, but that's definitely not what it was made for. It was made for drinking -- and enjoying it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Heidi Klum?

Reply to
syoung

und kein Fehler!

Reply to
christofire

Let the Record show that Tim Wescott on or about Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:10:54 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Wunderbar"- although a lot of that is in the inflection.

Your girlfriend is coming over for the weekend. Wunderbar! She wants to visit your mother. Wunderbar.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

It's really terrific how words evolve.

--
John
Reply to

That's great (i.e., large).

Jerry

-- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Reply to
Jerry Avins

And get coded in song "Our God is an awesome God" will be sung for years.

-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

.

It's really terrific how words evolve.

-- John

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think he meant "awesome" as in a busload of preppies going off a cliff.... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi Jim,

We know this ;-) A heavy discussed slogan for Baden-Württemberg is "Wir können alles - nur kein hochdeutsch" I'll Try in english "Yes we can, but not regular german" (Jörg, hab ich das einigermaßen richtig wiedergegeben?)

How do you say "intermodulation distortion" in German?

Intermodulationsverzerrung

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

I lived in Ludwisgburg, near Stuttgart, for a few years when I was a teenager. I was trying to learn German, mostly by osmosis and some schooling, and often when I'd try to talk to people I'd get quizzical looks like I was a space alien. It often turned out I was trying to mix Schwabisch and Hochdeutch in ways that just didn't work very well. ;)

I'll take a crack at the phrase you quoted, which does seem pretty funny knowing the area:

"We can do anything, except proper German."

It's funny that a lot of the non-conversational words that I still remember are technical stuff like that: vergasser = carburetor, einspritz = fuel injection. I guess I've always been a car guy. ;)

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms

I never heard the term before, but I understood it before reaching the translation. After all, seltzer water from a siphon bottle is colloquially "spritswasser" in Yiddish.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

I've waited 36 years for an excuse to drop "Zundverteilerkopf" into a conversation.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

)

'Verteilerkopf' =3D 'distributor head' is obvious. Can't figure out 'Zund' without a dictionary?

Rune

Reply to
Rune Allnor