What changed in my computer

Pages are loading differently.

What do I need to do to fix this.

They load like this;

Bloomberg.com GLOBAL EDITION Businessweek.com Company About Blog Careers Diversity & Inclusion News Mission Philanthropy Press Room Sustainability Products Financial Products Bloomberg Professional Service Bloomberg Tradebook Bloomberg Briefs Bloomberg Indexes Bloomberg SEF Service Center Customer Support Enterprise Products Enterprise Solutions Trading Solutions Industry Products Bloomberg BNA Bloomberg Government

amdx

Yeah, it does that sometimes. Then it goes away. Probably some java or browser thing.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm waiting for it to go away, foot tapping. Can't check, my comic, stock prices, TV guide... I'll try a reboot. Mikek

amdx

CTRL-ALT-DEL -> kill web browser?

Sometimes with Firefox it's the dreaded "plug-in container" that hangs up. Terminating that nearly always helped.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Prohibiting Firefox automatic updates fixed all my problems :-p ...Jim Thompson

I rebooted and that fixed it. The stock was flat, nothing on TV, and the comic was funny. "Mom wouldn't care about these things if she wouldn't keep finding out about them"-- Calvin of Hobbes.

amdx

Same here. Say, how do you turn off that nag-blurb "Do you want to install version blah-blah" in Greenshot? It's almost nasty, several times per day. Auto-updates are, of course, not enabled.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's odd... I don't get _any_ nags from Greenshot...

Greenshot 0.8.0 Build 0627 ...Jim Thompson

I'm on aged XP, and one Win2K, machines. I dread the future :-( ...Jim Thompson

The snipping tool is good enough in Win7 that I don't bother with Greenshot, but on my dusty obsolete legacy quad-core XP machine or old Dell laptop I've not noticed any nags.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I finally grabbed a Win7 machine...not too bad, so far. I really need to try Linux again--it's been a while.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Don't dread. Go Linux Mint 15. I've no complaints and not 16 but haven't yet played with 17. This ain't your dad's Linux. Very friendly in all regards. No issues here on a Pentium core2 duo

Reply to
Knoppix User

(etc.)

I get that on some pages when the NoScript plugin gets overzealous. I just tell it to "temporarily allow all this page" and it goes back to normal.

So, same as usual?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Something hase overridden or otherwise killed the stylesheet for tht page. ----------

Try a hard refresh (ctrl-shift-R) if that doesn't help go poking around in ettings and also looking at any web filters you may have enabled.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Get a couple of Win7 Pro licences while you still can. They will allow you to run XP cleanly as a VM under the licence without much hassle. Dunno whether prehistoric lock in dongles will play on it though.

You could do it for free with third party tools and Win7 home but my guess is you would find that a lot more tricky.

Worth running recover keys on any legacy PCs before you scrap them to make sure you actually have the registration codes for seldom used programs that you have forgotten about.

Win8 is for absinthe soaked cubist Picasso fans with oily fingerprints. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Prohibiting ALL "automatic" updates seems to fix all problems, most especially those from M$ "critical" updates and, on occasion, those from Avast.

Reply to
Robert Baer

or

hangs

I read rumors that mozilla is considering forcing updates down users throats. Mind sposhing for a FOSS vendor to contemplate.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Oh, you mean there isn't enough spy code blocks operating in the older versions that people don't seem to have any problem with? Some one higher up is most likely funding the Mozilla project, special interest group, if you get my drift!

Jamie

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

If you are using a Windoze machine(it appears that way) most likely the machine is infected with virus/malware. In addition, Internet Explorer is a notorious malware/virus attractor. So, unplug the network connection when not using the Internet, and clearing browser caches routinely. Rebooting would not help much if the malware/virus is already residing on the machine.

Reply to
dakupoto

java or

hangs

And yet my associates wonder why i won't try google Chrome. ;-/

?-)

Reply to
josephkk