Awesome speakers!!

I was thinking of buying these, can anyone suggest some suitable gold infused 200 Amp speaker wire with low oxygen content?

JC

Reply to
Archon

3/0 copper is the only wire you will find that can handle 200 amps, and it's about 1/2 inch in diameter.

I think you mean 200 watts.

--
-Scott
Reply to

On 1/19/2011 4:28 PM Archon spake thus:

Oh, that site is an absolute gem. To wit:

"To provide you this we put a bi-wiring gold-plated back panel with jumper bar connectors who can be removes."

"ULR was founded in 1986 and have been involve with industrial vibrations and acoustic control equipment ..."

"We use our special multi frequency liztwire. We do our own wires. They are impossible to find in anyplace. Those wires are important because they conduct more efficiently the current to your drivers. The electrons (the negative electric particle of an atom) in the current do not propagate the same way when they are induce by different frequency. More the frequency is high, more those electrons stay on the surface of the conductors. It?s call a liztwire effect or skin effect. We can?t explain all here because we would need many pages but this subject is well documented in physics."

(Well, obviously English is not their first language. But some of the howlers here transcend any language barriers!)

   who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
   that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No you need full 200 amp capacity wiring for the peak demands for the odd picosecond during use, for the best transcription

Reply to
N_Cook

Though I know you're kidding, I sincerely hope you're kidding about buying them.

For what the speaker costs, and the profit they make on it, they could easily pay a native-English-speaking copywriter to create effective advertising. That they don't, shows they don't care what kind of image they present. I would not normally buy products from such a company.

I loved the line about the effectiveness of biwiring in controlling back-EMF had been proved by lenz [sic]! (Lenz has been dead for some years.) In fact, biwiring should have no effect on the back-EMF "seen" by the amplfier.

"But remember what it does when you block a bicycle pump at one side and you lower the handle. It gets more difficult to compress air. Well all other speakers have that problem!"

No, they don't. Planar dipoles don't.

If Tesla were alive, he'd probably sue for having his name attached to this product.

I wish JGH were still alive, so I could call him and we could read the ad together, and laugh our heads off.

If you have US$13K to spend on a speaker, you can buy something much better...

William Sommerwerck

I don't have a spare $13K to spend on anything, let alone wasting it on some hyped up bogus speaker, yes, William I was kidding ;-) JC

Reply to
Archon

I was actually looking for some good speakers when I came across the ad, but seriously though, the whole audio sector is so overhyped, I know a couple of guys developing speakers, and the way they go on, its more magic than physics. I'd like to see a pro review of those speakers, they may well sound great, but so far I've not found anything. The Quads look good but again way out of my price range. JC

Reply to
Archon

Not in the case of electrostatic or "orthodynamic" speakers. When properly executed, such drivers are superior to cone drivers.

Given that they use SEAS drivers, they're probably very good. But there are better speakers for the same or less money.

I see nothing wrong with a "serious" listener spending $15K for a pair of speakers -- that's what you spend on a car these days. But most people don't see it that way.

If $15K is outside your budget, listen to the less-expensive Martin-Logan hybrid electrostatics. They're not "cheap", but you're getting a really fine speaker at a "reasonable" price.

If you don't want 'stats, listen to B&W. They're among the few "neutral" dynamic speakers that don't sound insipid. If I didn't own planar speakers, I would own B&Ws. (At one time, I did.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The Martin-Logans look nice, I'll check them out, thx JC

Reply to
Archon

Alternatively, take a look at some of the kitted "assemble it yourself" speaker systems available from (e.g.) Madisound and Zalytron. Many of them are available either as parts-only kits (build the cabinets yourself from plans), or with cabinets pre-built (just finish the cabinets and install and wire the components). There are some very good kits available... essentially equivalent to the reference designs from the driver manufacturers themselves.

Dave Platt

One of the advantages of such kits is that you can build a rigid, tightly braced, really /dead/ enclosure, which is never found in modestly priced "box" speakers. You can also experiment with such things as painting the cabinet with Nextel.

There used to be a joke that /everybody else/ knew more about using KEF's drivers than KEF did. This was generally true.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Yup.

I designed and built my own cabinets, rather than using a fully- kitted design, as I wanted to fit them into a specific space in my living room. Double-thick front bezel with a deadening compound between the two layers, lots of internal bracing, and a thorough glopping of the interior with Shur-Stick Permanent Patch 100. These boxes are *dead*... they go "thuck" rather than "boing" if you tap them.

Point taken :-)

Dave Platt

I've always wondered (and dreamed) of a speaker cabinet made of granite or soapstone. With the right drivers, I'll bet they'd sound great.

Reply to
JW

I seem to remember Popular Electronics (I think) having an article where you made the cabinets out of a section of flue liner.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

It was made from glazed tile sewer pipe. That was the DrainPipe 8 speaker.

My father and I built one (not two as this was in the daze before stereo). It think I was 15 or 16 years old at the time. I vaguely recall that it sounded great, but my mother had aesthetic objections. The sound also coupled nicely to the floor and neighbors downstairs also voiced their objections. The only part I really remember was watching someone haul off the monster to who knows where.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

And then I found this...

My memory served me well. He used 9"x13"x24" chimney flue tile, and cut it in two, by making an angled cut, using a masonry blade attached to a skil saw.

Jeff the other other one.

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

You might want to look at the higher end Paradigm speakers. Some of their under $2k speakers sounded better than a $20k speaker we used to sell at an upscale audio salon. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I already recommended Martin-Logan's less-expensive electrostatics.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Well, there's probably a trade-off there (especially with regard to granite). Ideally, you'd like the resonant frequency of a cabinet to lie well outside the frequency range excited by the driver(s) inside... either below, or above. It's also beneficial if the cabinet is relatively "dead" (low Q).

Granite is quite heavy (lowers the resonant frequency), but also quite stiff (raises it)... I'm not sure what the resulting resonant frequency of a typical cabinet made of granite would be. I suspect that its Q probably isn't all that low.

Stiffening a speaker cabinet with internal bracing will usually raise the resonant frequency (the increased stiffness outweighs the added mass).

Now, a laminate composed of two or more layers of stone, separated by a very lossy damping compound (a "constrained layer" arrangement) could be quite interesting.

Unwieldy, though... it's bothersome to have to drive a forklift into your living room to position the speakers properly. Tough on the hardwood floors, and even worse for the carpeting :-)

Dave Platt

I have a Wharfedale speaker book, in which are plans to make speakers boxes out of concrete block or brick. What a hefty speaker that would be!! Eddie

[...]

Edward Morris