What is a "digital capacitor"?

Late at night, by candle light, D from BC penned this immortal opus:

Got one in our substation power factor controller. Contactors add and remove caps from the bank to keep the PF within range. Big bunch of humongous inductors in there too.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

"John Larkin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | >Digitally controlled capacitor? I guess I saw one at Maxim. | >Some RTC devices can be digitally trimmed (capacitor @ XTAL). | >

| >- Henry | |

| | I use one of these in my latest digital delay generator design, to | coarse-tune an LC oscillator. We built a frequency counter into an | fpga and, at powerup, my uP program steps the cap through all 32 | settings and then picks the one closest to 50 MHz. It tunes | automatically and replaces a $12 piston cap.

$12 ??

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Tim Wescott" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:quWdnRYf9vG8Qi_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com... | Joerg wrote: | | > John Fields wrote: | -- snip -- | >> --- | >> I'm sickened. | >>

| > Especially when you see this kind: | >

| > 1.5Farad with a nominal capacitance of 1,200,000uF. Great. | >

| Obviously they rounded up.

In Germany we call this "kaufmännische Rundung" :-) Even a part of IEEE754 floating point standard.

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

Wow:

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

[snip]

Yep. Listen up all you audiophools... a super cap across the speaker terminals will enhance your "boom-boom" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I just designed an RFID tag chip that does just that... except it's

1.2MHz ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well, some of them are $16.

John

Fry's is famous for selling quick but taking ages of standing in line and filling out forms to return anything. And for repackaging returns and selling them as new. On one trip, Palo Alto store, I bought an HP inkjet printer and a box of floppy disks. The printer, when I opened it, had the inkjet cartrige installed and there was ink splattered everywhere, and the floppies had Windows for Workgroups installed on them, neatly labeled by hand. Both packages had been resealed so that you had to look closely to notice. Fry's staff is very skilled at package resealing.

They also have a big burly guard at the door who goes through your bags, checking everything against your receipt, even though you have just stepped away from checkout, in his plain sight. I suspect you could just walk past him and, if he touches you, charge him with assault.

Nice selection of test equipment, video games, junk food, and p*rn mags, though. Everything for the Compleat Geek.

John

America is wonderful. It brings tears to my eyes.

John

Sure. Back in the old days all of the 40-40-20 electrolytics in 5 tube radios had night lights in them - didn't they?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

If you enlarge the picture, you will see LED readouts which is part of a DVM - thus the "digital" nature of the condenser.

Reply to
qrk

Condenser is what steam engines have to condense steam back in to water so it can be re-used in the boiler.

Reply to
ian field

In article , John Larkin wrote: [....]

If you make like you simply don't see him, and walk right past him, chances are he won't even move. I have done it in 3 stores and that has been the result.

Halted, has some nice stuff too.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

$89 shipping on a few lbs item?

Reply to
Jeff L

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Intersil makes some - X90100M8I , avaliable at digikey with a large min order. Digikey calls them a digital capacitor

Reply to
Jeff L

This is actually interesting and not bullshit. We use large DC link capacitors in most our products. The lifetime and thereby also function of the product is mainly set by the quality of the DC link cap.

Say you pop in a 1mF cap in your product. After running many hours (aggrevated by high temps) the dielectrics dry out and the capacitor is of an entirely other value. So if you need 1mF at the end of product life you need to chose a higher cap value.

But back to the 1,200mF nominal value. This is a deviation of -20%. Exactly what most capacitor manufactors state in their datasheet. Actually one of my colleagues saw this some years ago and took a large quantity from the reel and measured them. They all measured below the nominal value (with the mean close to -20%). Apparantly the capacitor manufactors have so good control of the production spreads that they can place the capacitor value at the low end of the spec to save money

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Or they have a good sorting machine, so that the ones that measure higher capacitiance at the end of the manufacturing line can either be sold as tighter precision (at a higher price) or larger capacitance value (at a higher price).

Reply to
Richard Henry

Says $15 UPS Ground here. Maybe it's $89 to Northern Nepal or somewhere ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

What kind of failures do you see when there is no cap or only a small one? Is it mostly surge voltage damage?

IME electrolytics don't lend themselves too well for any area that gets hot. For example I have seen time delay relays fail because the cap in the RC section began to dry up. Time delay became too short, motor relay kicked in too early, poof. Usually I just replaced all that with a CD4060 which doesn't need a larger electrolytic for long delay timers. Actually, I am doing just that on the other PC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

display".

anything

;-)

Looking at it again, it's UPS insane fee's - not a seller trying to make an extra buck on shipping. It's $24 for normal shipping to up here in Atlantic Canada, and $89 for expedited shipping (is that even over night?). We stopped using them when they charged us over $400 shipping for a item located in England, that was not fragile (basically a couple of formed sheet metal panels), weighed less then 15 lbs, and was about 2' by 3' by 1', and was not overnighted.

Reply to
Jeff L