What is a "digital capacitor"?

Came across this item in the Fry's flier (the Friday p*rn-section of the local paper):

Now everything I know about capacitors would deny the idea of a "digital capacitor" and it is only faintly clear to my why one would have a "blue neon light" or a "built in relay" or a "digital display".

Anybody know what exactly this is and whether it actually has anything to do with capacitors?

Reply to
ytyourclothes

Just eye candy for the automotive audio add on crowd, you know the ones that you can hear the bass notes from a block away.........

Reply to
Lefty

That's nothing, the local store sells "digital AA cells". They do kinda look like a dwarf's digits.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

One component supplier was actually selling square speakers, as "ideal for digital audio"!!!

Reply to
ian field

It's a very large capacitor; 1.5F (remember capacitors are usually measured in micro Farads).

The capacitor itself is not digital, I would guess that the word "digital" is used to suggest that the capacitor is of quality suitable for digital audio, or maybe to refer to the digital display.

I think these are bought by the type of people Lefty describes in the belief that the energy stored in the capacitor will improve the bass response of their stereo.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

Good grief, a subculture I'd never imagined. Lookit these..

Some have neon illumination, and some have built-in LED digital voltmeters. I'm impressed.

John

A "digital capacitor" is what you get when you put your finger too close to a tuned circuit.

For example, when trying to adjust the tuning capacitor of a homebuilt radio that does not yet have a metal front panel to shield it from your hand.

Reply to
cs_posting

Got another goofy answer: Digital capacitor: Performs.. I= C*dv/dt calculation in software D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

"D from BC" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | On 20 Jan 2007 14:20:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@p.zapto.org wrote: | | >Came across this item in the Fry's flier (the Friday p*rn-section of | >the local paper): | >

| >Now everything I know about capacitors would deny the idea of a | >"digital capacitor" and it is only faintly clear to my why one would | >have a "blue neon light" or a "built in relay" or a "digital display". | >

| >Anybody know what exactly this is and whether it actually has anything | >to do with capacitors? | | Got another goofy answer: | Digital capacitor: | Performs.. I= C*dv/dt calculation in software | D from BC

Digitally controlled capacitor? I guess I saw one at Maxim. Some RTC devices can be digitally trimmed (capacitor @ XTAL).

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

--
I\'m sickened.
Reply to

Especially when you see this kind:

1.5Farad with a nominal capacitance of 1,200,000uF. Great.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Reply to
Richard Henry

It's not clear where it should be installed. Across the battery teminals? Across the power input terminals to the sound system? Across the speaker terminals?

Reply to
Richard Henry

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I use one of these in my latest digital delay generator design, to coarse-tune an LC oscillator. We built a frequency counter into an fpga and, at powerup, my uP program steps the cap through all 32 settings and then picks the one closest to 50 MHz. It tunes automatically and replaces a $12 piston cap.

John

-- snip --

Obviously they rounded up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

At best it is a capacitor suitable for use around a digital circuit of some sort (car stereos, judging only from other posts in this thread).

At worst it is a total scam.

I'll bet it's somewhere in between, but leaning heavily toward 'scam'.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

There might actually be something here. Capacitors used in hi tech digital devices often need a lower ESR.

And there is a different optimum mix for AA cell chemistry, depending on the nature of the load and its time variance.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Right. Those are audio LEDs in the voltmeter. From Audiophool Reference Encyclopedia: "LEDs optomized for superior response within the audio spectrum. While the optomization improves audio clarity, it does diminish LED emissivity severely. Therefore, neon illumination is incorporated so you can read the voltmeter."

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Well, knowing Frys it is related to quantum physics; they both have it and do not have it at the same time. Only by actually *visiting* them will you be able to discover the state of actual physical stock.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:43:36 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

There you go Baering you retarded soul to the world again.

The two outlets here in San Diego area can tell you if anything is in stock, and will even hold an item.

My copy of "The Lathe of Heaven" was put on hold for me two days before it arrived, and when I was in the store asking about it, he brought it up on the database right in front of me, you dipshit.

He put it on hold for me in that same session, and I picked it up days after it arrived and it was given to no other customer, nor was it ever displayed.

Got any more bright baby bullshit?

Don't you guys even know what a supercap is?

The f****ng capacitance was mentioned in the ad I saw. D'oh!

Reply to
MassiveProng