fry's

John

I avoid Fry's whenever possible... dumbest, rudest staff on the face of the earth.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Want to bet he was the one behind repackaging defective merchandise and returning it to the shelves?

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read that once he blew $6 million in a few hours playing Baccarat.

One trip to Fry's, I bought three things, and two were used/repackaged. One was an HP inkjet printer, and the cartrige was installed and there was ink spilled everywhere. The other was a box of floppies that someone had installed Windows for Workgroups on, all neatly labeled.

And it took an immense amount of hassle to return the printer for an actually-new replacement.

John

On Dec 25, 9:46=A0am, Jim Thompson wrote: > On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 09:35:03 -0800, John Larkin >

You ask them the wrong questions. The only valid one is 'what aisle is the xxx on?' Beyond that they haven't a clue though every now and then they surprise me.

Merry Christmas

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Well of course, that's another package they needed to rewrapped and place back on the shelve for the next victim.

Beware, That isn't the only store that does things like that to their customers.

I can contest that Best Buy isn't much better if not, worse.

"

Reply to
Jamie

The local Best Buy puts those on a 'Open Box' shelf and sels them at a deep discount.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They need to drop the jerk in the any of the poorest places on earth with no money, or way to contact the outside world after seizing and selling everything he owns.

If I want broken or used printers I can walk into several computer stores or thrift stores and they will fill my pickup truck. And they don't want them back, either! ;-)

I picked up a huge Dell laser all in one with a ethernet network interface a couple weeks ago. It is big, and heavy. I haven't been able to get it into the shop to test it yet. It will have to wait till after I get the the VA hospital to find out why I'm passing blood. This is not the time of the year to need the ER, when 75 % of the staff in the ER and clinics are on vacation.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe in your location. The one in my area likes to do things like remove a wireless keyboard and mouse from it's package and replace it with a standard keyboard and mouse with their cords ripped out. Shrink wrap it, place it on the shelve and sell it at the normal rate.

You see, when you have stores with kids working in it that also services and upgrades your PC for you. It's easy to do a favor for some one by switching the keyboard and mouse around for their good buddies.

Of course, since this package never left the store in the first place, I guess Best buy would be correct into saying they always check the contents of all returns how ever, this little procedure gets by past since it's being done in house with store employee's.

AT some point, some unknowing customer comes in and buys that package then attempts to return it. Just think how stupid it would look for a customer to return a package with the contents totally not correct. Well, the people that work in those places know that and since Best Buy does have a rock hard policy on returns. This is a play ground for the employee's that have friends needing some cheap/free toys. Good advice to live by, check the contents of the package before leaving the store.

P.S. I have a friend that bought a Laptop that was on sale there, got it to his house to find out that it rebooted after about 30 mins of operation. Took it back, they looked at it and said they would have to send it out for repairs. And this was like 6 hours after he had bought it. He said no, demanded another laptop or cancel the card charge. They stated it couldn't be done because he had already registered windows and that is when the fun started. You see, he never got that far and it never stepped him through those procedures. The Laptop was already set up with some one else's name with no password required to get in. So, obviously he got a returned defective laptop that they were refusing to make good on. He called the card company at the store while standing in front of the help desk. The card company only needed to verify that the goods were in the store's hands. And he said, have a good day.

Good advise. When dealing with merchants of this kind, use a credit card and verify early as possible that your purchase was an honorable one.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Unbelievable! The bastard should be remanded through the trial with no bond!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Even that doesn't make it right or ethical in any way.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

If any of this is true, why haven't you called a TV station to report it? An investigative reporter would love that story. It sounds like all your other stories, pulled out of thin air. The FTC would love to have details, as well.

If it was a display model, anyone playing with it could have put their information in it. Kids used to do that for 'fun'.

Your stories might be a little more believable if they didn't look like they were all written by a ten year old.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, my stories were not pulled out of thin air.. I don't blow smoke like some I know ( no names stated ). I knew there was a reason I had some people on a ignore list.

TV station was called on the keyboard issue. This was before I found out what was happening. My wife tried to take care of the problem and was getting no where. Then I found out 2 days later, she had already called the TV station and reported them. This channel 8 around here loves receive reports like that. She told me, they didn't act surprised when she told them the name of the business.

I was able to preside Best Buy that it was in their best interest to make good on the purchase. I don't know if the manager just thought it was a good idea or who ever she called on the phone, told her to follow through with a replacement. I did tell the manager they were reported if that meant anything to her.

As far as the laptop deal, My friend didn't go any future with his problem. He was happy to get the charge canceled on his card.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Naah, just convict him and send him back to Iraq smeared in bacon grease and in a pig suit, bound hand and ankle.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

But at least in the Silicon Valley locations, if you holler out a questions on some technical product (on a weekend, for example), there's a good chance someone who worked on the product will be within earshot and can help.

But as for the staff, I agree.

Reply to
artie

"kickbacks from vendors to finance his high-rolling lifestyle and pay gambling debts."

Guess this resulted in inflated prices and poor management..

Reply to
valwn

If any of you have the opportunity to visit the Roseville (Sacramento) store, go see Jeff-The-Redhead over in computer components (mobos, CPU, memory, etc). Kid is sharp as a tack.

Of course, what can you expect from one of my A students {;-)

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Fry's sucks less than it used to regarding the technical skills of those on the floor. However, once in a while you really find someone who knows what they are doing.

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I find the best service, all around... even at restaurants, is from college students working their way through school.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I forgot about their Sacto store. Is it themed?

The Fremont store is supposedly a world's faire. Well, it does have a big ass Tesla Coil and a decent Jacob's ladder.

Palo Alto is the Wild West.

Sunnyvale has/had stupid big ass leaded capacitors by the aisles. It does have some old photos of Silicon Valley legends and an Apple prototype. Still, it has by far the most inept sales help. I think anyone in Sunnyvale with technical job skills would get a real job rather than work at Frys.

Campbell is an Egyptian pyramid.

Brokaw is .....the scene of the crime!

Reply to
miso

Sam Marcos is an undersea adventure, full of aquariums and big fish (the TV room has a huge Moray Eel in it), there are huge shell sculptures and a 4 foot diameter granite ball that floats on a 1mm layer of water.

They do not turn the ball's pump on due to high SD electrical rates.

I want that ball! :-]

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever