Today's 'what the heck is it?' item...

Hello all...

I was cleaning up some stuff in the basement when I found a cardboard box with a Newsweek address on it. Opening it revealed a small white-cased device with an on-off pushbutton and a speaker. It uses 4 double-A batteries. There are no other controls or indicators on it anywhere.

I first thought that it had to be some kind of a fixed-frequency radio, probably something that was tuned to one AM station for promotional purposes or maybe even a weather radio. But it doesn't seem to receive anything--assuming it even works. With batteries in place, it would hum (much like ground loop hum) and the sound would get louder near electrical wiring. I never heard any sort of station or static.

Taking it apart revealed a very simple circuit board with a coil, power switch, a few small transistors, some resistors and a few caps. It's really very simple--too simple to be any kind of radio I'd know about. The one IC on it is an STMicroelectronics TBA820M audio amplifier, with a date code of early 1988. Running it while taken apart revealed a few things--let the circuit board get near the battery compartment or wires, and the speaker would go into feedback. The coil on the board was sensitive to touch or metal tools--and produced a "tapping" sound in the speaker when touched. It was not sensitve to other random objects on my workbench. I also found that I could feed audio into one of the connections on the coil and hear it clearly through the speaker.

A picture of the circuit board is here:

(541x255, 47KB)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Probablty a Stud Finder -- locates the nails in the drywall hammered into the stud.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

A wild guess: an inductively-coupled half speakerphone--set near a (transformer-based) phone, it would pick up audio from the transformer in the phone and let everybody else in the room hear--but obviously not directly participate in--the conversation.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose."  -- Jim Elliot
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Something that traces phone wires or other electric wiring?

Reply to
Meat Plow

That's about what I would guess.

A friend of mine recently had to trace down a couple of short circuits in some in-wall wiring... a house he partially built a couple of decades ago, which passed electrical inspection and has since been sitting empty and idle. He disconnected the mains, then rigged up an audio oscillator and power amp and a current-limiting resistor, and used the combination to put an audio tone into the wiring at the breaker box between the two wires which were showing a shorted load. He then used a home-made setup similar to what you're showing (a coil, fed to an audio amplifier) to trace along the walls, using the audible tone to figure out where the wires were running inside the drywall.

By noting where the tone suddenly disappeared, he was able to figure out where the wires inside the Romex were shorted. In the first case, it was due to a drywall screw that had bit into the Romex and shorted hot to ground (the screwhead turned out to be within 1/16" of where he marked the "lost the signal here" spot on the painted drywall). In the second case, he lost the tone at an outlet/switch box, and found that an overly-tight cable retaining clamp had caused "cold flow" in the PVC insulation of the Romex and had punched a small pinhole through to the hot wire.

Dave Platt

It could be an induction loop amplifier ! Used by people that are hard of hearing !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

And finds where power cables are.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have one of these things. The circuit board is identical to the one in the pic.

At first, I did think it was some sort of telephone amplifier.

But now I'm inclined toward the stud or wiring finder type of application.

This is a small embossed arrow next to the on/off switch that lines up with the coil.

Mine buzzes to some extent all the time, but is sensitive to ferrous and/or magnetized objects near the coil. It squeels in various ways depending on size, orientation, magnet strength, etc.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Kinda looks like the guts of a Klingon Agonizer, as seen on Star Trek. Some details and instructions for use at:

Be careful how you use it. It can really hurt.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Well, that's what I had concluded (see my other posting). But now, I'm leaning back toward the amplified telephone idea.

I placed it near one headphone from a Walkman and it did an excellent job of amplifying it with the Waliman set at very low volume and providing a fairly decent, if low fidelity, output from its loudspeaker. If even worked 3 inches from a cell phone!

So, perhaps it's a multiuse device. :)

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: