weather

John

There was a time over 10 years ago, when all the leaves would be off the tree's a month ago. I still have most on. Its been very mild this fall.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I wonder how much "much" is?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

We should all be grateful to Al Gore for initiating this turnaround.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

If that's an election results map, Thopmson's gonna be pissed. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature

ROFL!

Next time please don't post this when I have a glass of water here. Now I am going to have to get Kleenex ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I can only assume that you are a reasonably intelligent person who is somehow "offended" by the fact that global warming is now accepted by the majority of scientists (those with credentials in climatology, meteorology, ...) and that atmospheric CO2 levels are PROVABLY rising at an alarming rate and that ice caps are melting and when they release trapped methane (a really efficient greenhouse gas) the tripping point provided by the positive feedback will put the entire planet into a chaos unlike any since recorded history.

You are not serving the greater good by posting such a trivial snapshot of collected data.

Global warming is a very serious issue that is struggling for the attention that it desperately deserves. Folks like you will delay the massive and decisive response that is needed until it is too late. It is a non-linear system and once the trip points are reached, it is all over.

Hope that you don't have kids or grandkids to consider.

Thanks for your contribution to an attitude that will eventually do us all in.

Reply to
Charles

Not offended: amused.

Nope. The fad peaked about a year ago. The public is increasingly skeptical.

Folks like you will delay the massive and

Don't be silly. Find something new to be neurotic about.

That map wasn't an attitude, it was hard data.

John

What is amusing about massive and alarming data that our planet is heating up due in large part to our use of carbon fuels that generate CO2, a known greenhouse gas?

Sorry, it is hardly a fad. To trivialize it as such is an abomination. In fact, the public is finally waking up.

Silly? Find something else to be extremely reactive (ultra right-wing) about.

No comment here tells me that you don't give a crap about our kids and grandkids.

That map was a very brief snapshot of temperatures. I love the fact that you naysayers often state that the global warming statistics are too brief to be of any value and then you post your even more limited metrics to shore up your untenable positions. You guys cannot have it both ways!

Perhaps you should think more and post less. And reading more would be a good idea; assuming you are open-minded enough to read non-biased sources. AKA known as scientific sources.

Reply to
Charles

age

.

gy,

rate

tive

ed

So anthropogenic global warming is another subject where John Larkin has a firm opinion, adopted without knowing much about the subject, and defended all the enthusiasm of someone who had performed very well in a limited field of expertise and in consequence thinks that he is as well-informed about every other subject

of

ion

Not that I've noticed, and in any event their opinion is scarcely decisive - or at least not until the matter has been subject to more detailed exposition than it has had so far.

near

Its actually a very good subject to be neurotic about. I can't think of a better subject of obsessive interest than our enthusiasm for burning fossil carbon and injecting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It has set us on a slippery slope towards setting up our own personal global extinction'.

Douglas H. Erwin - a paleobiologist at The Smithsonian - has written a useful book on the end-Permian mass extinction, which seems to be fine example of runaway global warming. The title is "Extinction, how life nearly ended 250 million years ago" and the ISBN 978-0691-13628-8.

It was written more recently than Tony Hallam's study of mass extinctions (including the end-Permian event) and is perceptibly less enthusiastic about the "methane clathrate gun". He doesn't dispute the evidence for the rapid release of methane around the mass extinction, but he's less confident about the source.

The engine of the end-Permian extinction does seem to be a very large increase in the carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere coming from the volcanism that created the Siberian Traps. Not only would the lava have released a lot of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere on it own account, but the lave flows erupted through coal beds, so the lava did the same kind of job of extracting an burning fossil carbon that our miners have been doing for the past few hundred years. Since coal does contain some hydrogen, the lava could have driven out an appreciable amount of methane in the process, though methane hydrates are still a plausible source.

ll

The data you chose to present betrays your attitude.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

You don't care for facts much, do you?

All I did was post a map. You went ballistic.

AGW isn't science so far, it's anti-science.

A lot of people will be embarassed if things continue to cool off. If not, we'll survive. As I've noted before, the planet has been dangerously running out of CO2 for the last hundred million years or so, enough to seriously threaten life. It's our job to fix that.

Let's talk about electronics now.

John

Yup: the Gore Effect. It snows wherever he gives a speech.

It's fun to see the GW protesters shivering in the freezing rain.

John

Glad to see another working brain out there.

Highly recommended book is: Hot, Flat, and Crowded : Why We Need a Green Revolution--And How It Can Renew America

Not only about America, BTW ... just a ton of common sense that is mostly uncomfortable to the currently comfortable, over the entire planet.

Fear is what drives the comfortable away from the inevitable. John is living in denial because he is comfortable but fearful. Understandable.

Reply to
Charles

How so? A polite and reasoned disagreement is "ballistic?"

As if I was the one who opened up this can of worms. Cute, John ... but fools no one. A Sarah Palin type tactic.

Think more and post less.

Reply to
Charles

There was a documentary called "Global Dimming", quite disconcerting.

I've an environmental scientist mate with 30+ years experience, I no longer talk about environmental issues with him. "Little" things like the loss of sea birds, 70% over about 30 yrs around the australian coastline are a bit of a worry.......

Reply to
K Ludger

Scary stuff. We are severely compromising the only habitat available to us. Galactic emigration is a long, long way off and destruction of mother Earth (as a nurturing environment) is looming near.

The thing that really bothers me is that passing the real cost of our misdeeds onto future generations, of all species, is so ego-centric that it is criminal and will be judged so by future generations, if there are any.

Reply to
Charles

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | |

| | John |

Leaves are falling early in LI-NY here. Last few years it was later in November. But the acorns are sparse this year.

Martin Riddle

That is a map of the "48 of 50 USA's states" over a time period that includes a La Nina that is either the most extreme in about 7 years or the most extreme in about 18 years.

Also keep in mind that weatherkeeping/weatherlogging according to USA's gabbymunt mostly considers "normal" to be "average of previous 3 calendar decades". As in either 1971-2000 or 1970-1999. It appears to me that such stretch has already encountered a bit of modern global warming including the 1998 spike from worst El Nino since maybe 1878, and that a fraction of 1 year including a notably explainable/expectable short term downward spike from that stretch (moderately severe La Nina) is *not* much of an argument against contention of existence of a current global warming trend.

Don Klipstein

Translate it into Chinese and Hindi and a lot of African languages. They are the ones you need to persuade to stay poor.

Fearful? No, I'm having fun. Especially so when I have a lot of ineffectual neurotics to laugh at.

John

Disagreeing with a map is pretty silly.

John